We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing tour "guides"

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
119 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing tour "guides"

Hi,

I will be visiting Beijing in the beginning of June. This will be the first time I am travelling alone without a tour group or a partner. I heard about guides at tourist attractions who will offer to show you around for a fee. I understand mandarin.

May I know how safe these guides are? I would prefer such guides (if safe and reliable) to group tours.

I will be staying at the TianLun Dynasty hotel -> any comments?

Will be in Beijing for 13 days. Wonder if it will be an overkill.

Greatly appreciated cheers!

Bryan

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

Well Beijing in June will be like Singapore in the dry season.

Don't be a boring Singaporean and stay in the same place for 13 days. It is so cheap to travel in China, atleast go to another nearby city for a few nights.

If you can read mandarin there are many guide books on different cities in China sold in Carrefor and other bookshops which are really cheap, with photos and then you can use that book to catch a taxi or bus.

If you go to another city come back to Beijing and stay in another location, 13 nights in the one hotel is not a good idea.

Through business I have lived in hotels all over the world and after 7 nights any hotel even the 5 stars are boring.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

Hi BunBnB,

Yea I get what you mean...actually I'm linking up with a tour group for Singapore to "see the sights". But having travelled to many countires before, there are some things which you can't finish in a couple hours or days. I'm actually looking for a local who will show me the real Beijing and not just the tourist sites... Hehe . Eveny i do not know what I'm looking to get out of this trip. LoL.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

Hi I just booked a tour of Beijing appx 6 days

This includes -Tiananmen Sq, -Wangfujing shopping st-,-Forbidden City-,-Jingshan Park-,- Hutong Tour(trishaw)-,-Juyong Pass (Great wall)-,-13 Ming Tombs-,-TongRenTang-,-Temple of Heaven-,-Summer Palace-,-Yaxiu Fashion Market-.

Also got 1day tours to Chengde and another to Tianjin.

Basically I still got about 6-7 days free. Is there any other place I should visit in Beijing or any trips worth taking -> considering time to travel - time to be spent there etc.

Really appreciate the help and advice I can get here.

Cheers

4. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2008, 03:42
Shanghai
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

You know Mandarin, so pls just buy one guidebook like lonelyplanet or other China travel books .

Enjoy!

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

hi

we have just returned from China [ family of 5 ]\

and had a great time ... did it all ourselves , with the help of Qing in Beijing and Lilly lu in Yangshuo ,

so depending on what you like Yangshuo was great lots to see and do [ Yangshuo / longshen rice terraces]

7. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2008, 13:59
8. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

Removed on: 26 May 2008, 05:22
China
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

13 days you just stay in beijing? That's cool !you can understand mandarin, so when you travel China ,that's toeasy. if you like you can go to museum, when you travel ,at same time you learn a lot. if you like the Great wall, you can hiking the Great wall. because beijin have 8 sections of wall. I have with my clients hiking the Great wall almost week. Daytime we hike about 3 to 4 hours, night we live hostel nearby the greatwall.if you have question, just mail me

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
622 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beijing tour "guides"

I don't know why this thread was brought up, but did anyone notice that it was posted in May of 2007?