We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

My family and I will be travelling to China next spring, and we're looking for a different way to experience the Great Wall. Because my kids will be 13 and 10, I'm not looking for a strenuous hiking experience. Does anyone have any recommendations? What about William Lindesay's Wild Wall tours? I've also considered staying at the Red Capital Ranch or camping out overnight. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks!

3B Taxi
City Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
China Adventure Tours
City Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Camp The Wall
Climbing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Travel Great Wall
Hiking & Camping Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

I'd say camping on the Wall is the way to go.

Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you recommend it because that's the way to get the most personal experience? I see from previous posts that The China Guide offers tours where you sleep in a Watch Tower along the wall (or else just outside the wall, overlooking it). Do they supply bedding, etc? I've also heard about tenting it along the wall but don't know who runs that.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience about any of these alternatives.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

Unfortunately, I haven't actually camped on the wall myself, but I know lots of people who have and I think that there is a great coolness factor that ought to appeal to your kids. (I don't know how they are with camping, though).

Staying on the wall would also mean being there at sunrise and sunset, which could be nice. Plus you really get to soak in the atmosphere and create an enduring family memory. You'll remember a quick daytime visit to the Wall, but an overnight stay will likely be one of your top-ten all time experiences as a family.

I do know that organizers will generally arrange bedding and meals. I wouldn't even know where to start to do this on my own.

It is definitely something I would like to do. If you search this forum you will find posts by people who did it and info about people who organize the camping on the Wall.

Dallas Texas
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

bakery;

My wife and I took a private tour of two sections of the wall, Badaling and Mutianyu. Mutianyu was much more spectacular because of the sky lift ride to get to a good starting point and also the fog all around the surroundings. Then when you are finished climbing you can take the tobaggan ride back down the mountain. This trip was greatly enhanced by our tour guide Peggy, if you need more information about this section or other ways to see the Great Wall just email her yuan_yan_2@hotmail.com Seeing Beijing by private guide/private driver is the way to go. Very inexpensive too. Jack

California
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

You can also sleep on the Great Wall:

thechinaguide.com/great_wall_of_china/accomm…

Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I love the idea of sleeping on the wall (just a little afraid after reading another poster's experience with a rat!). I'll definitely look into them all before making a decision.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

The following tour group/cultural club offer some very interesting tour ideas and can send you monthly updates on new travel locations in China. Perhaps if you contacted them directly they may have an answer -

see http://www.chinesecultureclub.org/beijing/

Hamburg
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

anybody has experiences from the red capital ranch?

9. Re: Looking for unique ways to see the Great Wall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 14:16