We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Immunizations

4 posts
Save Topic
Travel Immunizations

I'll be traveling to Beijing for the Olympics. A couple of different sources (guidebooks, websites, etc.) have recommended getting a few different immunization shots before traveling: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and typhoid.

Are getting these shots necessary?

I dislike needles and getting shots of any kind so I'd kind of like to avoid it if possible, but if there is a real chance of getting any of the above, I'll just suck it up and get the shots.

Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel Immunizations

Beijing is no temperate swamp like Washington, DC. It probably has fewer mosquitos than Milan. For my trips to Beijing, I never have or ever will get any immunizations.

I agree with the previous poster. If you're going into the jungle, that's something completely different. The CDC recommendations for China are about as useful as having US South Pacific territories lumped in with the US mainland.

Now, if you're going into the jungles, by all means, get Hep B. The CDC misses something huge in its Hep B description--leeches. In jungles, expect to wade through monsoon like deluges and step into deep puddles. If a leech gets you, it doesn't matter if you've abstained from dirty drug needles. You don't know what else that leech has.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel Immunizations

Did you read this post?? THAT'S why you might need certain shots before you go!!!

If you can't open it, it's entitled "extreme eating."

4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel Immunizations

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I'll be talking to my doctor and most likely sucking it up and getting whatever shots necessary. Better safe than sorry!

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel Immunizations

Actually, I don't know what I was thinking. Going to Beijing for the Olympics, I really wouldn't worry about getting any special shots.

Hep A might be useful if you're going to be chomping down on lamb kabaobs and various other street foods or if you insist on a raw food diet (Chinese cook almost all of their food).

Of course you might have a compromised immune system or into seedy, germ-swapping activities, but the average healthy visitor to Beijing eating in nicer restaurants and going to game venues isn't likely at all to get any nasty diseases.

I do think the revised CDC site is much better than the old one for specifying under what circumstances certain vaccines are useful instead of just recommending everything for all tourists going to China.

There are mosquitos in Beijing, but rarely any malria-carrying ones. There would be a lot more, but they do spray the city with pesticides.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel Immunizations

It is always a good idea, at home or abroad, to have your tetanus booster. In a foreign country, if you have an accident and are cut by something, why hassle going to an emergency room with a foreign language. You need this shot at home anyway to protect against any chance of "lock-jaw."

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
589 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel Immunizations

in the uk, you can go to your local gp

And the nurse will ask you where abouts youre going in China.

She'll then refer to a computerised map which has different coloured shading according to what diseases are prevalent in what areas

They were free as well, although if youre considering sleeping with people or sharing needles you may need to get (i think) Hep B. Which you have to pay for

Im not considering doing either so they just gave me diptheria, hep a, polio, tetanus

but if i had been going to different areas in china the vaccs required would be different (eg id have needed malaria)

It best to get them, even if youre afraid of needles. not to get them would just be ridiculous.

Bet to have the vacc and not need it than need the vacc and not have it

17. Re: Travel Immunizations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 22:19