We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
320 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

Hi there,

I remember reading on a web site (can't find it now) that said the Z train from Beijing to Shanghai no longer has the 2 person private sleeper car. Is this true?

I am traveling with my cousin and really don't want to share a car with 2 strangers. I'm sure it's safe; however, I don't think I would be able to sleep at all and would be exhausted by the time we get to Shanghai. My other option is to fly, but I would like to have the experience of traveling by train in China, as well as not having to pay for a nights hotel stay.

Does the 2 person sleep still exist? Details please.

Thanks!

Monica

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

Got u.

Washington, DC
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

Hi Monica,

My wife and I are making the same trip from Beijing to Shanghai (starting in DC as well) about two weeks after you, and also considering the Z train.

The fact you can't buy tickets until a few weeks prior to the trip makes me a little nervous, but from what I have learned, it is fairly easy to get a ticket if you go 3 or 4 days prior (which is what we will likely do).

Are you going to try to arrange your tickets in advance or are you waiting until you get to Beijing?

John

Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
320 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

"Hi Monica,

My wife and I are making the same trip from Beijing to Shanghai (starting in DC as well) about two weeks after you, and also considering the Z train.

The fact you can't buy tickets until a few weeks prior to the trip makes me a little nervous, but from what I have learned, it is fairly easy to get a ticket if you go 3 or 4 days prior (which is what we will likely do).

Are you going to try to arrange your tickets in advance or are you waiting until you get to Beijing?

John"

Hi John, I have learned a lot since my original posting. The Z train no longer has the 2-person berths, so my cousin and I will either buy all 4 berths in 1 compartment OR we'll take the T train, which has 2-person berths. I read the Z train is much nicer, so if we do the Z train it will be a "splurge" for us, but affordable.

I haven't decided yet how I'll buy my tickets but I have been in contact with a travel agency who said they will buy my tickets, but won't be able to buy them until the 8th, after they return from their week long national holiday ends. I suppose this will be the case no matter who I use to get my tickets. I don't think I will wait until I get to Beijing on the 10th, as that's pushing it too close for my comfort.

PM me if you want to chat.

Monica

liverpool
Level Contributor
113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

can anyone tell me how long the train trip takes

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

Here's a lowdown on the train choices for this route. Listed from the best quality train to the lousiest quality -- in terms of comfort.

1) Daytime D train (10 hours): 2nd-class seat 452 RMB, 1st-class seat 542 RMB

1) Overnight Z train (11.5 hours): soft seat 283 RMB, soft sleeper 478/499 RMB for upper/lower bunk

2) Overnight T train (13 hours): hard seat 179 RMB, hard sleeper 306/317/327 RMB for upper/middle/lower bunk, soft sleeper 478/499 RMB for upper/lower bunk

3) K train (19.5+ hours): can never get decent tickets, so don't bother with this

4) Lousy slow train (23+ hours): hard seat 88 RMB, hard sleeper 176/183/190 RMB, soft sleeper 290/304 RMB

I wouldn't suggest going by hard seat, it's really too traumatic and not worth the savings. The D train is too expensive and a waste of money. The hard sleepers for the T trains are almost impossible to get so don't count on them. My best options would be soft seat or soft sleeper on the Z trains.

The 2-bunk deluxe soft sleepers are only a possibility on Beijing -- Shanghai T109 and Shanghai -- Beijing T110. They're not always available, and you'll only know for certain on the day before departure.

liverpool
Level Contributor
113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

Ellyse

Thank you for the information you were very thorough.

If we took a soft sleeper would we be stuck on a bed for the whole time or are seats we can use if not is there a buffet car restaurant were we could go every couple of hours and would our cases be ok left in the sleeper there will be three of us all guys and our second week is in Shanghai were you live any info on Shanghai please my e mail is dmulholland@go.com

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

Excuse me but this is no longer the age of telegraphs, it would be easier to read if you could bother with using proper punctuation.

The lower bunks are used as communal seats during the daytime. There're also flip-down seats in the aisles.

There's a dining car on every long-distance train, but the food is usually lousy and overpriced. You can't sit in the dining car if you're not buying anything to eat/drink. Out of 4.5 years of living and travelling in China I've only made the mistake of eating to the dining car, once. That was enough.

Yes, your luggage will be safe enough left in the sleeper compartment. I presume you're not travelling with diamonds and gold bars.

18. Re: Train Beijing to Shanghai (Z Train)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 18:18