We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
693 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

Looking at trying to arrange a couple of weeks trip to China which will only give us time (I think) for my must-sees of Beijing, Xian and Guillin. I've seen a tour but as we're not used to these and enjoy doing our own thing, i'm trying to price up our own trip. Does anyone have recommendations for internal flights? How much on average do you expect to pay? Many thanks for any advice.

Tour-Beijing-Day Tour
Helicopter Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
China Odyssey Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours
Beijing Walking Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
The Trippest Mini Group Tours
Private Tours, City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

As I've learned from many travel forums, book your flight tickets maximum several weeks prior to the trip. Look on CTRIP, ELONG,9588 & YOEE. Be aware though that, discounts may appear but will always be stated as "Sold Out" if you're checking for flights months in advance.This is not true as it's way too soon to advertise these flights.It's just a way of enticing the customer.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

I prefer Elong,for the price,different time have different price.WE ususally don't book few month in advance,usually book 1 month or 15 days ahead the trip.Sometimes 60% discount,some times 50% discount,you need to check quite often

Good luck

3. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2008, 16:18
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

I would fly by Hainan Airlines if possible. If you're a member of Star Alliance, flying with Shanghai Airlines or Air China would also net you frequent flyer miles.

For Beijing -- Xi'an (in either direction), taking the soft sleeper overnight train is a better option. Fare is 400/417 RMB for lower bunk, each way.

shanghai
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

I prefer www.elong.com or

ticket.9588.com/FlightTicket/Main_E.aspx

Sometimes they say they are sold out online, but if you call them they sometimes have availability on flights.

The prices change frequently, sometimes daily so sometimes you have to book them fast.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

elong and ctrip are both reliable, but ctrip doesn't like talking to my computer so I use the former.

IME, it's no use booking more than 2 weeks ahead for internal flights as the schedules keep changing, as do the prices.

Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

Saw discounted fares for begining of June on Ctrip that will meet our needs - China Southern from Guilin to Beijing. But the terms say "discounted fares cannot be endorsed". I assume this means if the flight is cancelled other airlines will not take the ticket. I've read on other threads of flight cancellations. Does this happen often and am I taking too much of a chance taking the discounted airfare? The savings for the 3 of us is $150.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

I've done 10+ internal China flights each year for I don't remember how long, and IME if I book more than a couple of weeks ahead there is a better than 50% chance that my flight will be cancelled or rescheduled. Guilty airlines include China Southern, China Eastern, Shenzhen Airlines and Air China. Hainan Air has had a better record, but unfortunately it doesn't serve many of the routes I use.

Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

This is my first trip to China. Our plan is to fly into Guilin fr Guangzhou after 3 pm May 30. Our tour begins the next morning. Then on June 1, after a half day tour of Guilin, we were going to Beijing for 5 nights. Am I wrong in feeling uncomfortable about booking only 2 weeks ahead since we are on a tight schedule and have to be at a certain destination on a certain date? I see that there are several flights to Guilin on China Southern but the flight to Beijing (3pm) is the last one that evening on China Southern. So if they cancel, we'll be in trouble if the tickets cannot be endorsed to the other airline for the last flight out. I would have paid for accommodations in Bejing and would also have to pay for staying in Guilin an additional night. Or am I looking at this all wrong? I read that there is overcapcity in China but also that Guilin is a popular destination. I just don't have a sense of airline schedules and their practices in China. The fact that there are so many cancellations may prevent me from booking the discounted tickets. Hoping for some advice from all the contributors to this wonderful forum. Over the last few weeks, I've gone from looking at package tours to booking independently. Thanks to the great info. I've gotten from all the postings.

NB, canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: internal flights -any recommendations for websites?

I am in the same predicament. Looking to book a flight from Guilin to Beijing on April 2 and I must be in Beijing on the 3rd so I am a little worried about the flight being cancelled. Oh well...I`ll wait a week or so, book the flight and then I`ll check with the airline a couple days earlier and if the April 2nd flight is cancelled I`ll try to get on an earlier one.