We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Pashmina or cashmere

Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Pashmina or cashmere

We're visiting Beijing next month and I'd like to pick up some pashmina or cashmere while we're there. Any ideas where we could shop for them?

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Pashmina or cashmere

Any department store or the big clothes market Yaxiu. But keep in mind that it is not necessarily cashmere just because the label says it is.

Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Pashmina or cashmere

Thanks for the advice. Where would you recommend I shop for the real thing, rather than a knockoff?

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Pashmina or cashmere

I'd trust the regular department stores a bit more than the markets, but it's best if you can learn enough to be able to identify the genuine article. I don't know how, so I have been reluctant to pay much money for cashmere.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Pashmina or cashmere

In those markets all copies,no real.But in the silk market have one shop they said is really Cashmere and really no big bargainig for price.I don't know whether is real,maybe you can try

The real cashmere and pashmina here maybe similar price as in your country.In the morden shopping centers maybe have

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
287 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Pashmina or cashmere

Watched some documentary about cashmere. Apparently if a shawl/ scarve is at least 70% cashmere, you can thread the whole shawl through a ring! Anyway, the real thing in a dept store is likely to cost almost as much as anywhere else. I know for certain it costs more than in Hong Kong and Singapore :)

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Pashmina or cashmere

I buy made-in-China things in the US for my Chinese friends.

For traditional items, you might check your Macy's or equivalent department store in Canada right now. 100% Cashmere men's sweaters have been as low as $35, reduced 70% or more. Although they are made in China, I have not been able to find cashmere at that price in China.

I too would not trust 99% of the public markets for the real thing in China. When I went through the Jade market of Burmese merchants in Jinghong, China, a few weeks ago, not one would write a receipt for a real jade item. You were required to accept a so-called government certificate at face value! Ha ha ha.

7. Re: Buying Pashmina or cashmere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 22:17