We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Beijing

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
44 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Beijing

We're going in July, and well, I love to shop, and cannot wait to spend some cash!

Well alot of things are fakes, and that's alright. In the markets, how much should I pay for an item? I know they ask ridiculous prices and then you gotta bargain, but what's a reasonable price, in comparison for what they first ask? I've heard it's like 10%?

And what are the prices on original clothings and brands there? Can you make good bargains, or are the prices more or less similar to Europe?

I also know there has been alot of problems with returning home with lots of merchandise that is fake. For instance, there was this woman who had bought fake designer sunglasses in Italy, and had to pay a 10.000 Euro penalty for this when she got home, she was pulled aside in the customs. This problem has gotten worse lately, and you often read about holidaymakers that come home, and then have to pay huge fines for buying fake merchandise...

Is this also a problem in China, or is it no worries??

Never been to China before, so I'm excited for this trip!

Thanks;)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,317 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Beijing

Search this forum, your question on where to shop and how much to pay has been asked many times in the last few days.

In terms of original clothings, some big names (like Hugo Boss, etc) will cost you more than at home due to local taxes. You are better off buying luxury goods in Hong Kong like the Chinese do. According to my daughter, the prices at international chains like Zara or H&M are the same as home.

When I shop at the markets I don't care if it is fake or not. I just buy a shirt because it is nice. I also bought prescription sunglasses and prescription glasses. I don't know what the brand is, I know I like them and they are much cheaper than anything comparable back home.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Beijing

If your customs is fining people 10,000 euro for bringing in fake goods from Italy, they are certainly going to be paying attention to people coming from China as well!

I assume everything in the markets in China is fake. Though some things in the markets do not pretend to be famous label goods.

Real goods are not cheap in China.

10% seems appropriate, though there is nothing stopping the vendors from raising their asking price. Mostly that seems to work.

It is amazing to see what you can get if you offer just 5 or 10 RMB for things and refuse to go above that. (If you make an offer, though, you must actually buy the item if the vendor agrees to your price).

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
44 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Beijing

Thanks. Yeah.

Latest news article said a 12 year old boy had to pay a penalty cost of 900 Euro for buying a fake watch in Italy.

A Danish woman had to pay 10.000 Euro for buying a pair of fake designer sunglasses.

Pretty sick!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Beijing

As far as being penalized for returning home with fake items, it ALL depends on YOUR country and YOUR airport. China could care less when you leave their country with fakes, but when your arrive home, that's another story. It's very different in the U.S. No consistency whatsoever with the U.S. airports. It all depends on the airport, the Customs people, and how the Customs people are feeling that day. I've returned from China a few times with TONS of fake DVD's and the Customs person didn't even check!! I've had friends who did the same thing and they didn't check. I guess it's just a chance you have to take. Do you have to fill out a form to "declare" your items before you get off the plane?? We do when you return to the U.S. and they say a lot depends on what you put on that form.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Beijing

For fake name shoes or souvenir you go silk alley.

For good price genuine name clothes or shoes, go to Beijing's Outlets. It is a huge shopping mall selling The north face, Nike, with high quality.Lots of beijing local white collars go there, including myself.

singapore
Level Contributor
726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Beijing

Hi RobertBeijing

I will be in Beijing this weekend. Can I know where I can find Beijing Outlets. We are staying near to Xidan.

Thanks

Sandy

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Beijing

Beijing Outlets information: thebeijinger.com/directory/…1211

singapore
Level Contributor
726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Beijing

Ellyse, Thanks for the info. I found the address.

Sandy

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Beijing

No problem, you're welcome.

10. Re: Shopping in Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 01:15