We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

Hi all,

First time poster here. I am thinking about heading into Beijing for the Olympics for a couple of days (my sis looks like she might make the olympic team). Obviously bookings are near on impossible to get within a reasonable budget.

I did receive an email from Starwood Hotels reservation that they have availabilty at the Four Points by Sheraton Beijing, Haidian. Has anyone stayed here or know of a review of this hotel. Just can't seem to find any real info on this hotel from people who have stayed there. Any help would be great. Even better would be if anyone knew of hotels that still had availability around the Wangfujing area during this time. Thanks in advance.

Cheers Nic

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,526 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

Check the hotel reviews on this site.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

There doesn't seem to be anything listed for the Four Points here which seems a bit strange unless I'm not searching correctly.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
983 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

In previous posts Chinese Forum members seem to think Hotel prices may come down In June. Their reasoning is that Corporate Sponsors have block booked hotels and many of the hotels have got greedy re Price etc. These Hotel rooms will not be sold and will later be discounted.

I sincerely hope so as at the moment I am booked in a hostel.

By the way in which event did your sibling make the team ? You must be so proud.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

Cheers for the info. That seems to make sense but unfortunately I can't take a punt on that although I do wish for your sake thats the case. Found a couple of places to stay for around $400 - $500 US so for a once in a lifetime chance to go see my sis in the olympics i think I'll just pay the bill.

She made the Australian Badminton team so yeah we're stoked especially considering badminton ceases to become an Olympic sport after these olympics.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

NicMelbourne, congrats on your sister. Now about the hotel--you may have some locational issues, as follows.

1) The Starwood is nowhere close to the Wangfujing area, but maybe you already knew that.

2)If proximity to the Badminton venue is important, then you've missed. The Starwood 4 Points is on the opposite side of town (NW) from the University of Technology Gymnasium (SE). You will need to allow an hour in travel time, one way. Your best bet to cover this distance may be to get from the Starwood to the nearest subway station (probably the NW end of new Line 10), ride to the other end, then about 10 minute taxi ride to the Gym Venue. This will be arduous but at least the subway line will be new and have a/c. I expect surface route via taxi will be similar time frame even with expedited traffic flow during the Games.

3) Convenience to other Olympic Venues, including the Olympic Green area, is adequate though not stellar.

I suspect as hotel rooms are unblocked--due to happen any time now--you'll see more availability. It seems as if asking prices have already peaked and may even have fallen back about 5% or so. Obviously, nothing is going to be dirt cheap, but you still might want to hold off a bit on sending in any nonrefundable deposits, and keep looking at options in better locations than Starwood 4 points. When not attending badminton, your other inclinations (touring? shopping?...) would be an important determinant for any recommendations.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

Also, I'm pretty sure Badminton is still in the 2012 Olympics. There was talk about dropping, but to my knowledge only baseball and softball were confirmed as out.

Cincinnati, Ohio
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

which hotels are close to events?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
983 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

you are correct re it being baseball and softball being dropped.

ireland
Level Contributor
614 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

I couldn't get a hotel room myself so I booked a twin room in a hostel for around €100 per night.

10. Re: Accommodation in Beijing during Olympics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2008, 05:58