We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late search for accommodation during olympics

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Örebro
2 posts
Save Topic
Late search for accommodation during olympics

Hi everyone!

We are two students from Sweden going to study a semester abroad in Hong Kong during the fall and we are therefore planing a trip to Beijing for a few days during the late august, before the semester starts. We understand that accommodation during this time (during the great Olympics) is hard to find, but we hope that some of you, kind souls reading this, can help us.

We would be forever grateful if anyone would be so kind to help us with any tip on budget accommodation or other arrangments.

This is going to be our first visit to China and we are sad that we are late on arranging accommodations so we really would be grateful for any help at all.

Searching for a place to sleep

Daniel & Gustav

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,587 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late search for accommodation during olympics

You should have better luck if you time your arrival in Beijing after August 25. Besides the usual hostel booking sites, you can look through the lower range of offerings on www.sinohotel.com and also check with other discussion boards geared to budget travel, such as LP Thorntree NE Asia branch.

Be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR about the Chinese visa restrictions currently in effect from now until mid-October. You will have to submit incoming and outcoming transportation and accommodation arrangements. This will hopefully ease up in mid October. I strongly suggest you change your plans around, and go directly to Hong Kong, then travel to the PRC/Beijing after your semester is over. You'll also have the benefit of lower prices and fewer tourists. The weather will be much colder in Beijing, but as you are from Sweden not Swaziland, so it shouldn't be much of a bother for you.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,587 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late search for accommodation during olympics

Sorry, just reread your message and it seems you want to come DURING the Olympics. First of all, if you don't have event tickets or don't really want to attend the Games, I recommend you reconsider. It's unclear right now whether you'll be allowed a visa or entry into Beijing during this period, without tickets (rumors abound but to date no official word one way or another). If you have event tickets and/or still want to come, apart from someone's couch or floor space, there really won't be much dirt cheap accommodation during the Games, though you can certainly try the resources I already mentioned.

One possible bright spot is that the number of foreign visitors is not going to be the 550,000 the Chinese were touting--maybe more like half that. It seems as if general room prices have already come down a bit from their peak asking prices. The gov't is supposed to be releasing its block on hotel rooms this month, but this will primarily free up availability in the 3/4 star category. Which may help others reading this thread, but I expect the lower price tiers of accommodation will still be oversubscribed. Keep trying weekly, and if you find a good deal guaranteed, jump on it. But if not, don't start to panic until around mid-June, when you'd need to begin thinking about applying for visa.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late search for accommodation during olympics

I was going to apply for my visa on about June 24th is that sufficent time if I am flying on 7th august ?

Örebro
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Late search for accommodation during olympics

Thanks for all help kvchina!

You made something’s really clear to us, especially concerning the visa appliance.

If everything around the visa appliance works out we will still be trying to get to Beijing around 19 or 20 of august, hopefully we will find some cheap (we are student – not a lot of money) accommodation. Going to Beijing during the Olympics is going to be a one in a life time opportunity so of course we don’t want to give up our dream.

Thanks again for all the help!

Daniel and Gustav

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late search for accommodation during olympics

guys i am sure you will find somewhere.

hostels will be forced to drop their prices nearer the games.

In barcelona and athens many rooms were still unsold.

I currently ghave a hostel bed but am hoping to get a hotel.

Shame carro isnt going in the Heptathlon.Best athlete in the world IMO.

6. Re: Late search for accommodation during olympics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 15:17