We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying luggage in Beijing

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Buying luggage in Beijing

We will be in China for two weeks. Given the restrictions on air travel within China, I plan to do most of my shopping in Beijing before we leave. Is it possible to buy an inexpensive suitcase there?

If so, where would you recommend I shop?

Thanks

798 Art Zone
, Neighbourhoods, Art Galleries
Yandai Xie Street
, Antique Stores, Historic Walking Areas
Solana
Neighbourhoods, Shopping Malls,
Parkview Green
Shopping Malls,
beijing
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

Opposite the Beijing Zoo, beside a very large buses station, there is a big shopping zone (unit stores in several high buildings) sells luggage in a very reasonable price. The site is big and visually clear and known by every local. But I suggest you shopping with a guide or a local, otherwise you'll be got ripped very easily. Check for its quality before you buy it and better to pick the standard size as the airport rules request to avoid such troubles.

beijing
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

…google.com/Beijingfunny/…5204870566291221842

A SIMPLE SKETCH MAP of the SITE

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

Thank you so much for your help. I will certainly check there for luggage. I look forward to visiting Beijing.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

Wherever you will shop (probably the Silk Market or Ya Xiu) you can also shop for luggage. The same bargaining advice applies.

beijing
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

hehe, glad to help. Have fun! lol

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

You're best off buying luggage in Beijing markets thinking of it as disposable. GOOD luggage costs a mint here, but you can get a cheap bag that will get your purchases home.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

I have bought several pieces, and best advice above is from travellevret. Bear in mind, most times when your guide takes you shopping, he or she is collecting a commission from the store. All too common in China. Go on your own and bargain on your own. Expect brands to be fakes. I once asked the salesman if they would stand on the suitcase, as the shell did not look as if it was strong to survive an airline's handling.. It was not, as he put apermanent kink in the plastic shell. I moved on.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

I suggest buying it at the CarreFour supermarket (one next to the SAS Radisson hotel). They have genuine American Tourister bags at very cheap prices.

I have previously bought great luggage bags at the Pearl market, but you need to know how to bargain.

Jens

Colombian in the US
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

soo...just as a guide..up to how much can you bring the price down of a medium size bad? I know how to bargain...i;ve been to the silk market a couple times..but it's better when you have a guide of how low can u get. Thanks!

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying luggage in Beijing

Many vendors presume a guide will want a commission slipped/palmed to him/her discretely after a transaction. This presumption means the vendor has less room to bargain and charges you a higher price every time. Avoid having any guide take you shopping anywhere. Of course, the group-tour, forced-shopping stops are set up for the sole purpose of feeding more money to the tour companies. If you demand NO shopping, then the tour company raises its price to compensate for the loss of income!

You can get a good serviceable bag for around 50-75 yuan. Be sure to inspect the workmanship carefully and test all zippers and locks several times. I do not pay attention to what the vendor says, at this price point most name-branded luggage is fake. In China, you assume what you are purchasing (silk, pearls, luggage, watches, etc.) is fake unless there is an extremely convincing argument to the contrary. This is not an anti-China statement. Rather it is a testament to the capitalism of the free markets. If you want the real thing, you will pay more at permanent stores which have been in business for many years at the same location. But paying more, of course, is no guarantee of anything. (Catch 22)

Just buy a bag for the US$10 and it should hold together until you get home.