We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

49 days in China

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
49 days in China

I'm about to come over for 7 weeks. Most of that time is taken up by working for a company handling groups of Americans attending the Olympics. But I will have some free time at the end of the stay.

What best suggestions do you have of things to take with me to help ease the long stay. I travel a lot and know the basics, just tips for the location would be nice to have.

What tips for survival in the big city can you share? I know the rules will change with the games crowds, but I want to experience Beijing deeper than just a games fan.

Thanks in advance.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,296 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 49 days in China

It is difficult to think of things you must bring as everything you buy back home is actually made in China any ways. Especially in Beijing, you will find well stocked drug stores and even the typical western food at the Carrefour Supermarket. You probably only need an extra empty suicase to bring back everything you will buy. Actually just buy a suitcase there also.

But if you are going to stay that long, learning some basic mandarin would be useful especially if you try to experience something a little different while there. Check www.chinesepod.com

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 49 days in China

Dear Auntie,

I have been in the same boat here and have used my limited time wisely by using a private tour guide.

Tour guide/Business Interpreter

Catherine Lu

Tel +86 13810667723

www.catherine-travelinchina.blogspot.com

www.catherine1130.spaces.live.com/photos

email: catherine_1130@hotmail.com

She is great and I was able to see lots on limited time when not working. I enjoyed her company and found her to be extremely knowledgable and very charming. I am off this weekend for a quicky to Xi'an to see the Terra Cotta warriors principally, again with a private tour guide. Will let you know how that goes!

Also find staying in an ApartHotel to be much better.. All the services of a hotel, but the added advantage of more space and basic kitchen facilities. I travel a lot for work and don't mind doing breakfast and lunch out as a single female, but find dinner out less appealing (I'm from the Boomer generation!), so it is great that I can cook (read heat up!) a little something here after working all day and have enough space not to climb the walls. Where are you staying?

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 49 days in China

When you arrive, explore some shops to find places to stock up on things.

Find some menu glossaries to take with you so you can order food in restaurants without English menus

Pick up copies of free That's Beijing and City Weekend to find out what's happening and places to go that are not part of the Olympics.

4. Re: 49 days in China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 10:22