We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter jacket/ coats

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nz
7 posts
Save Topic
Winter jacket/ coats

Beijing/ Xian

Does anyone know if we can still buy winter clothing - jackets and coats even though it is summer?

where?

what sort of price should i be looking at?

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter jacket/ coats

Yes, you can...we saw plenty of Northface at the Silk

Market. I did not check price, but I got a raincoat (famous brand, trench style) for 100 rmb or about 12dollars U.S.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter jacket/ coats

How much did you have to bargain to get your coat for $12? Were there lots of stalls selling winter clothing there?

Thanks

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter jacket/ coats

I did not bargain that hard because they tend to drop the prices pretty quickly. They started at 400rmb, I said "no, I really don't need one...just looking..." or something like that and it was pretty much instantly reduced to 100. I had to bargain harder for silk scarves, but if you walk away, they will always come down in price.

While some posts say you should pay about 10%, I found I was closer to 20-25% of asking price- and that was OK for me.

There were alot of vendors selling winter coats, it seemed to be predominately NorthFace, but I did not look that carefully.

Both the Silk Market and the Pearl Market have many shops/booths selling winter coats. You may want to try both, although my guess is the stock is somewhat similar

Leather handbags were also well represented (and of course silk, jewelry, knicknacks, touristy stuff)

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter jacket/ coats

Silk market has plenty.

Normally you pay between 20% to 30% of what they ask first.

If they see you are alone they normally ask more to start with. If you are with a chinese guide they start lower. Also they try to guess from which country you are to determine the start price. One of the girls expleined all this to me :-)

But I doubt if all the brands are real. So check the quality.

5. Re: Winter jacket/ coats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 12:20