We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Wall walk

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Great Wall walk

I am visiting Beijing in September and was interested in doing the walk between Simatai and Jinshanling. My partner and I are both experienced walkers and would not normally be concerned about this but my partner recently had a fairly major operation and although will be pretty fit by September, if the climbing is too severe, she may find it too much. The Lonely Planet Guide describes the walk as ‘can be traversed without too much difficulty’ whilst the Great Wall China Info website says ‘steep beyond your imagination’. Which is correct?

Also does any tour company cover this route?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Wall walk

Check out cycle china's treks and walks, alot of areas of the wall involve many steps?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Wall walk

There are steep parts for sure. But I found them to be mostly with steps. In parts, you basically have to crawl up steps. 'Steep beyond your imagination' sounds a little severe. Are you sure it isn't 'STEP beyond your imagination'? As I mentioned in my trip report, I think this hike is fine for basic hikers. I'm not exactly Lance Armstrong, but I had no trouble at all.

The tour companies are likely to be no-frills. I used China Discovery Tours and many others here used the Downtown Backpackers. Since I was alone on this walk, my best choice was a tour company. But if I were walking with others, I think just getting a ride there is the main thing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Wall walk

I did this and was a highlight of my 2 weeks in china - I am a bad climber and suffer from knee problems and found this walk fine. There are some up parts but they aren't long or difficult - Once you reach the end at Simatai there are some very steep looking parts but this was past the pick up point!

We went with the backpackers and it was fine and cheaper than many tours we'd seen advertised. Expect a 12 hour day (7-7) we were given lunch/dinner at the end as part of our tour and help boost the energy levels, but take plenty of water and perhaps some snacks to enjoy along the way.

Verity

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Wall walk

Search on the term Great Wall and you will find many reports of the Jinshangling-Simatai walk. At 61 with walking 6-10 km a day, I could do it in a little under 4 hours, so plan on 5 hours and take your time. It is 10km, but lots of ups and downs. Just a few patches are crumbly rocks, and if you just go slowly, there should be no physical impairment.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Wall walk

I've gone with the Downtown Backpackers (www.backpackingchina.com/nr/greatwall.html) and would definitely recommend them. I was climbing with a guy a bit older than me, and his 60-year-old mom who was suffering from an excess of starch from the previous night (she's a coeliac) and we managed to do it in 6 hours.

The climbing is mainly steps, yes. Best wishes to your physical ability and perseverance, you should be able to do it! :)

6. Re: Great Wall walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 14:22