We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations needed for china

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Vaccinations needed for china

Just wondering if we are only travelling to bejing, shanghai, xiam and datong what vaccinations would be a must to get. Is malaria an issue there. we are going in sept.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations needed for china

I strongly recommend Hepatitis A. It's easy to get it with Hep B in a single shot called TwinRix. But it's the Hep A that's important, as Hep A can be transmitted in food and water.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations needed for china

No malaria in those parts. Make sure your normal vaccinations are up-to-date. Otherwise, Hepatitis A is a good idea.

xian
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations needed for china

Malaria happen sometime during summer season,If you take bad food.So you should be careful,but i think it's a little problem,can not block your trip. Beijing==Temple of Haeaven Tiananmen Square Forbidden City Summer Palace Great Wall Ming Tombs Lama Temple Hutong... Shanghai==Huangpu ReiverOutside Beach City Temple Yuyuan Garden Oriental Pearl TV Tower... Xi'an==Warriors Banpo Remains Museum Hot Spring City Wall Big Wild Goose Pagoda Han Yangling Undergraound Museum....Any Questions?

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations needed for china

Malaria has nothing to do with food.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations needed for china

Just returned from China. There is no requirement and really no need for vaccinations.

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations needed for china

Grace is correct. Malaria is primarily transmitted through female mosquito bites. The areas you are going are not known pandemic/endemic sites.

As for vaccination, currently no official requirement (at least from US CDC standpoint), but hepA (Havrix or Vaqta) is a good idea since it is mostly spread by oral-fecal route, though contracting the disease is rarely fatal. And we dont know for sure the sanitation standards throughout China.

California
Level Contributor
366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations needed for china

American CDC recommends the following:

wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationChina.aspx

Vaccination or Disease Recommendations or Requirements for Vaccine-Preventable Diseases

Routine Recommended if you are not up-to-date with routine shots such as, measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine, poliovirus vaccine, etc.

Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG) Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in countries with an intermediate or high level of hepatitis A virus infection (see map) where exposure might occur through food or water. Cases of travel-related hepatitis A can also occur in travelers to developing countries with "standard" tourist itineraries, accommodations, and food consumption behaviors.

Hepatitis B Recommended for all unvaccinated persons traveling to or working in countries with intermediate to high levels of endemic HBV transmission (see map), especially those who might be exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment (e.g., for an accident).

Typhoid Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in East Asia, especially if visiting smaller cities, villages, or rural areas and staying with friends or relatives where exposure might occur through food or water.

Rabies Recommended for travelers spending a lot of time outdoors, especially in rural areas, involved in activities such as bicycling, camping, or hiking. Also recommended for travelers with significant occupational risks, such as veterinarians, for long-term travelers and expatriates living in areas with a significant risk of exposure, and for travelers involved in any activities that might bring them into direct contact with bats. Children are considered at higher risk because they tend to play with animals, may receive more severe bites, or may not report bites. Note: Rabies vaccine is temporarily in short supply. For updates on the rabies vaccine supply, please check the Rabies News and Highlights page regularly. (Updated June 18, 2008)

Japanese encephalitis Recommended if you plan to visit rural farming areas and under special circumstances, such as a known outbreak of Japanese encephalitis, see country-specific information.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations needed for china

I am a little cautious about diseses so I reckon Hep A for sure. Hep B depends what your doing but most travel doctors now give you that as well. Check with your doc about the timing of shots. tetanus, typhoid have the usuals etc. I have had jap encephalitis shots as well but they are expensive, last only 2 years and probably not necessary in your case.

Malaria I only worry about down south and rabies ... be wary of animals - I treat each stray dog as rabies infected - a bit over the top but I am a little paranoid about it.

Depending where you are and class of travel sanitation varies from world class to spots where there are no toilets - find a tree/bush/building to go behind.

Bring some anti-diarrhea stuff as well. Not lomotil etc as that only masks the problem. You want to have something that will cure it, not hide it. My golden rule -- If you are going to get food poisoning it will be from eating in a five star hotel restaurant!

Enjoy the trip!

9. Re: Vaccinations needed for china

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 07:20