We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puchasing a Super Pass at PVG

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Puchasing a Super Pass at PVG

Hi all, we are going to Beijing on the 2nd and looking to take the "Airport Express" into Beijing from the airport as well as doing most of our sight seeing by subway.

We found this site:

cnreviews.com/beijing/beijing_subway_guide_o…

all about subway tickets and decided we should get the "Beijing Super Pass" talked about there.

This site:

en.beijingology.com/index.php…

seems to indicate PVG Terminal 3 has "Automatic ticket machines" and "Manned ticket counters".

I am wondering if either the "Automatic ticket machines" or "Manned ticket counters" accept credit cards?

I understand I can exchange money at the airport but was hoping to skip that step if possible and just use my Capital One card.

Thanks for your help.

uk
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puchasing a Super Pass at PVG

I presume you are talking about the Yikatong card, or the ICC Card. We used one on our recent trip to Beijing. You pay a 20 RMB deeposit and then top up the card with a fixed sum of money (20/50/100 RMB) The trip on teh airport express costs 25 RMB but further trips on the subway are 2 RMB each. They have just started saying you can use the card in taxis too, which is a real bonus. But one thing I will say is that we tried to refund teh deposit on the cards at the airport as we were leaving Beijing and the man behind the counter said we couldn't refund it there even though that was where we purchased it!. I can't remember about the credit card availability as it was such a small amount we used cash.

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puchasing a Super Pass at PVG

Thanks for the links, oberOn! I feel much better about the subway now.

Mooret, were you able to buy the Super Pass (aka ICC) at the airport? And can you expand more on the deposit? Is the deposit something you can't spend with your pass? Let's say I got a pass with a 20 RMB deposit and 20 RMB top off. Will I only be able to use the 20 RMB top off?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Puchasing a Super Pass at PVG

You're getting your airports confused. PVG refers to Shanghai Pudong airport, nowhere in Beijing.

I don't remember either option accepting credit cards, but I could be wrong.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,028 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puchasing a Super Pass at PVG

You will need to get currency in any case. Credit cards are not accepted everywhere. In China, cash is king.

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puchasing a Super Pass at PVG

Thanks for the replies.

mooret: Yes, I believe we are talking about the same card according to this site:

en.beijingology.com/index.php…

Funny how one little card can end up with so many names.

ellyse: You are absolutely correct. I am also passing through PVG so accidentally put it down. I only got 1/3 of the letters correct, a dismal 33% performance. Unfortunately I can't update my post but I meant to say "PEK" for the Beijing Capital International Airport.

JPDeM: Yes, we are certainly getting money but I have always heard airports aren't the best place to get the lowest exchange rates and/or the lowest fees. So I was hoping to get into downtown Beijing before I did my money exchange.

But, it sounds like this may not be possible so I'll be sure to exchange money at the airport (PEK to be clear ;-P).

It sounds like there are ATMs at the airport (I have an HSBC account which charges 3% exchange fees):

…about.com/od/airports/a/PEkairport.htm

And I will try to compare that to the money exchange window to see which one is a better deal.

If anyone knows anything else, please let me know.

Thanks!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Puchasing a Super Pass at PVG

In mainland China, rates are fixed so there's no real disadvantage to exchanging at the airport. Though, I know that the exchange window at the baggage claim area of Terminal 1 (PVG Pudong airport) charges a transaction fee of 40 RMB.

7. Re: Puchasing a Super Pass at PVG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 01:18