We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How cold is Beijing in early January

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
How cold is Beijing in early January

We are planning to stay a week between 9th Jan to 14th January in Beijing and understand that it could be extremely cold with the wind chill factor. Will we feel uncomfortably cold ie freezing in our face? At night is there anywhere indoors to go so that we will not be walking around in the cold? Is it cold but with sunny sky? Is it better to just skip Beijing in that period?

Early reply will be much appreciated as I have to book a tour. Thanks a million

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,857 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How cold is Beijing in early January

Being Canadian I find it is not that cold. I was there in January 2 years ago without a winter coat. Check on any weather web site for historical weather data and you decide if this is cold for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How cold is Beijing in early January

Many thanks for your prompt attention and advice.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How cold is Beijing in early January

Yes. Beijing does not get as cold as many parts of Canada. In January, Beijing expects maybe -10C at its lowest at night. During the day, it can be a balmy & sunny +5C. It is very dry and there's not much snow if any.

There's lots of huge indoor shopping malls around Wangfujing Street that are open at night. Dinner seems kind of early in China, so early that you'd better have dinner before a show otherwise you're out of luck after those shows.

IMO, winter is okay in Beijing. The smog can be attrocious. But outside the city, the air is far better and the crowds will be minimal at places like the Great Wall--winter's the best time to see that. It may be cold enough at the wall to get a nice cold beer and still warm and sunny enough to enjoy it.

If you get free time and really want to freeze, see the ice sculptures in Harbin that happen in January and February. It regularly gets to -40C there. Maybe our Canadian friends will feel more at home at that point!

London, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How cold is Beijing in early January

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. We will now have no doubts of going to Beijing which we both have been longing to see but only get this opportunity in winter. Once again, many thanks, much appreciated! Hope the sun will be shining on us at the Great Wall!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How cold is Beijing in early January

If you have any liking for museums at all, you'll be spoilt by the Capital Museum. We spent 7 hours in there and still only had time for a cursory glance at most exhibits.

London, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How cold is Beijing in early January

Yes, we love museums. I am a Hong Kong Chinese and I am very interested in our culture. Apart from the popular museums, is there any small interesting museums that you can recommend?

We would like to go to the Great Wall in mid January. What is the road condition? Is it icy? I do not want to spend too much time on the road, which part of the Great Wall should I go? Is it difficult to walk the steps of the Great Wall in winter?

If we go to Palace of Prince Gong, should we skip the Daguanyuan?

I am a bit wary about the taxi after reading the postings. Is it better for me to get a taxi from the hotel?

Looking forward to see our motherland in Jan!

7. Re: How cold is Beijing in early January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2009, 13:18
8. Re: How cold is Beijing in early January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 17:31