We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

I'm worried I'm doing something wrong, and before I budget for these very cheap flights, thought I should check with some experts. I'm looking at a one way flight from Beijing to Tokyo in October. When I price using sites in Australia, I get a huge cost of $1700pp (AUD). When I use elong/ctrip I'm getting a price in Yen of only 3000 (AUD $40!!). It's cheaper even than flying Xian/Beijing one way using elong/ctrip. I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what.

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

It's priced in Rmb (Chinese currency) not Japanese yen.

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

Thanks Drumbrake. I'd thought originally it was RMB, but the symbol used is Y with the 2 lines through it, which I thought was Japanese yen. Does the RMB and Yen have the same symbol?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

The symbol for Rmb can be ¥.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renminbi

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

Thanks so much drumbrake. Still much cheaper than the Australian sites, even in RMB. Are there any issues with buying tickets using elong/ctrip if you're not in China?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

Yes there issues.

Both charge a surcharge for using 'international credit cards'. Sometimes, they require you to fax credit card and passport information to process payment.

You could try www.travelzen.com and see if they offer the same fare. Travelzen doesn't have a surcharge, and until recently did not require faxing of documents, although one recent report suggested that sometimes they might.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

Have a look at travelzen too. www.travelzen.com They have no charges and very easy to book with a non China credit card

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

Thanks Drumbrake & Macsym, I just checked travelzen, they're $100 AUD more on the Beijing/Tokyo leg, and about $70 more on our internal China flight. Given that there's 5 of us travelling this will add up, so will have to compare how much the elong extra charges end up being.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

Don't book your China domestic flight until much closer to the date of travel, flights may change and the price will drop drastically. I got 75% off the full fare for a flight Xian - Shanghai later this month.

9. Re: Beijing to Tokyo - flights so cheap on elong/ctrip?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2009, 06:41