We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any updates on H1N1 Screening/Quaratine

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
108 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Any updates on H1N1 Screening/Quaratine

Just wondered if anyone has any update on the H1N1 situtation upon arrival by air in Beijing.

I can't seem to get any information from United Airlines, although I did call Air China who told me the situation is back to normal. On the other hand, a work associate, who flies to China frequently told me not to go to Beijing as that is where all the scrutiny is.

I am not traveling til November 2nd, but still would like to know what the situation Any updates would be much appreciated!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any updates on H1N1 Screening/Quaratine

November is still far away. Whatever the situation now is does not say anything about the situation in a few weeks. It can change rapidly.

And also what is the use of worrying about this? There is nothing you can do and the chances of getting quarantined are very low. The chance of having a traffic accident is bigger.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any updates on H1N1 Screening/Quaratine

The guy two rows in front of us was quarantined when we arrived last month. I was worried because I'd heard they quarantined a couple of rows in front and behind someone with a raised temp but they only quarantined the guy himself (he was travelling alone). The people doing checks had face masks and goggles but the ones who took him away wore full HazMat clothing!

As mentioned, the situation with the A(H1N1) will continue to change through out the year. Hopefully it will remain at the current level of severity and mortality, in which case screening etc may well drop. Alternatively, as Europe & North America are likely to be hit worst in the second wave, expected late Autumn, the screening may become more intense? Who knows? I wouldn't worry about it (although taking a couple of paracetemol just before you land might help!)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any updates on H1N1 Screening/Quaratine

We were in Beijing last week. Had to fill out the standard health questionnaire on the plane and were a bit worried about the health check when we got off as my wife had a cold and I had diarrhoea. What health check? We handed our forms to an attendant and kept walking and nothing else was said or done.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any updates on H1N1 Screening/Quaratine

although the handling of the paper looks like just a formality, be aware that is is a legal document to enter the country.

So fill it in as truthfully as possible. Before handing the forms in you already have passed a video temperature check. If you pass that there are no further "real" checks.

So only people who have answered some questions with "yes" will be subject to further checks.

CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any updates on H1N1 Screening/Quaratine

I flew into Beijing on August 6th from Narita airport in Tokyo. It was a Northwest flight, we landed at around 10pm.

Once we landed and the plane parked at the terminal. Everyone stood up to collect the belongings etc. Normal procedure. But after a minute the captain or flight attendant announced that a quarantine officer was going to board the plane and to sit back down. So everyone sat down for a minute or two. I had a aisle seat so I was looking towards the front of the plane to see who was going to board. I saw 1 gentlemen with those cotton masks that cover your nose and mouth. He check one person towards the front of the plane. Did not seem like he checked for temperatures or such he just look at documents. Then he started walking towards the rear of the plane, passed me and he stopped at another gentlemen and he did the same, checked some paper work.

After he left we all deplaned and walk through customs and everything was okay. I was nervous about the infrared temperature monitors but everything turned out okay.

I actually was really scared prior to my trip that I put in false hotel information on my immigration form. Last thing I would want is chinese officials coming to my hotel room after paying 170 usd a night for and taking me for quarantine for a few days. I took every step to avoid this situation and it all worked out at the end.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any updates on H1N1 Screening/Quaratine

fix80: when you check in to an hotel, the hotel will report on your stay there. So if they were looking for you, they would be able to find you.

By filling in the wrong info on your forms would have caused you more trouble then a quarantine.

7. Re: Any updates on H1N1 Screening/Quaratine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 07:17