We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a driver to get to The Great Wall

Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a driver to get to The Great Wall

Can anyone recommend a safe ,kind driver maybe with some English, to take two of us to The Great Wall, with contact details and price please?

Thank you for your help

Mentioned in this post
The Great Wall at Badaling
The Great Wall at...
9,804 Reviews
Beijing, China
Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a driver to get to The Great Wall

sorry, forgot to add....

"driver with a safe, clean car with aircon."

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,805 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a driver to get to The Great Wall

Why not do a little bit of work and use the search button. Lots of discussion about it. Also check the ads here: thebeijinger.com/classifieds/…Cars-Drivers

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a driver to get to The Great Wall

Hi birdhaven!

I was in Beijing in August with my spouse and I booked us a driver (John Ping) to take us to the Mutiany section (which was beautiful) of the Great Wall. John was at the hotel at 7 am and took us the Mutianyu section of the Wall and after that to the Summer Palace.

John was very friendly, had a clean car with air-con and he spoke pretty good English. He was also the cheapest of the drivers I contacted.

You can contact me for his contact information or you can find his contact info on this forum

Mentioned in this post
The Great Wall at...
9,804 Reviews
Beijing, China
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
437 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a driver to get to The Great Wall

We used Alvin Benton last month and he was great. When we got to the Great Wall at Mutianyu one way was closed because dignitaries were on the wall so everyone had to go to the left. Alvin wasn't happy with this and was able to convince the guards to let us on the closed section for two hours on our own as long as we were off before it was re-opened. Just imagine, The Great Wall to yourself.

We also went to The Summer Palace, an acrobat show and a Beijing Roast Duck dinner before returning to our hotel at 10.30pm. The cost was 900RMB for the day but it was worth every cent (or RMB). His English is excellent and he is a very genuine person who works hard to make the day memorable for his guests.

He can be contacted at alvinbenton@yahoo.com.

Mentioned in this post
The Great Wall at...
9,804 Reviews
Beijing, China
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a driver to get to The Great Wall

This is great info. I am in Beijing right now and inquired at the hotel concierge and was given a price of 1200 just for a driver to the wall. I knew this was pricey from what friend's had told me. I have contacted both Alvin and John based on this post. So far, Alvin has been in contact (wow he is fast) and we are just working out an itinerary and price.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a driver to get to The Great Wall

Hello to everyone who has replied - we want to thank you all very much and it is also great to know that it has already helped someone in Beijing at present and saved them money as well! Trip advisor is just great because of all the people! Happy travels to everyone.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Hiring a driver to get to The Great Wall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 07:17