We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

Hello, please excuse my ignorance as I have never been to Beijing so do not have a clue. We will be in Beijing in Dec for shopping mainly and wondered which hotel was the best hotel (not too expensive) centrally located to most of the shopping or near to a subway/metro? At a reasonable price. Also what are the best areas to shop for bags, jewellery, shoes, branded clothing? Many thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,798 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

Central is a relative concept in a city the size of Beijing that is also not designed with a center. And the best does not match with cheap. To help us help you can you give us a rough budget. Hotel in Beijing are substantially cheaper than London so US$100 to 200 will get you a great deal.

And shopping for what? Do you mean fakes? Big international luxury brands which are sold everywhere in Beijing will be more expensive than in the UK.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

What's your definition of "not too expensive" and "reasonable price" -- monetary price range please?

Quite a number of places to shop including Xidan, Silk Street, Wangfujing etc.

UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

That is exatly why I said excuse my ignorance, and explained that I had never been to beijing before as I do not have a clue about the city or its size.

Budget is about £40 per night for a hotel room, no idea what I would expect for that. And yes shopping for "fakes"

Thank you

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

That's about 450 RMB. My pet recommendation is CityTel Inn which's to the east of Forbidden City, about 5-10 mins walk to Tiananmen East metro stop, and Tiananmen Square. It's opposite Days Inn Forbidden City which would be good as well if it's within your budget range.

UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

Thank you Ellsye I'll check out the prices.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
Level Contributor
36 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

Please be advised regarding buying designer knock-offs. You may have a problem getting them back to the UK with customs if you buy too many. It all depends on the custom agent. The silk market has lots of them, but most night markets feature more than you'd ever want. Start bargaining at half of what they're asking. You will not insult the seller even if they act like they're insulted. Beijing is a great city - the food and people are great! Enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

Instead of a hotel there are terrific guesthouses to stay in.

Well located and at a good price is the Mao Er Hutong B&B.

lots of others too - tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294212-c2-Beijing-Ho…

With bargaining at markets it is best to start at quarter or less. Walk around to get an idea. If your price is too low they will let you walk away. Best to bargin hard and they will call you back.

Woking
Level Contributor
539 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

Hello L.

How is your tan, mine is still looking good. I see you're off in December to Beijing, as you do, for shopping! Long way to go for a bargain ha ha. We've just booked for skiing at Christmas, is that what is taking you to China, a christmas trip, quite unusual, but sounds like a wonderful idea. Have you tracked down the lipsticks yet?

S.

Happy Hols!

9. Re: Central hotel to stay for 4 nights, advice please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 04:45