We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to book sightseeing tours?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
where to book sightseeing tours?

I am going to Beijing and Shanghai next Thursday and will stay 5 days in each town. Can anybody tell me is it better to book all my sightseeing tours on line or is it better to do it there (in the hotel or some chinese agency)?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to book sightseeing tours?

i think better to do it through your hotel - if it is actually needed. Most or all of Beijing and Shanghai can be seen without a guide. Also, 5 days is quite long for Shanghai- maybe do some trips to Hangzhou, Suzhou or a water town such as Xitang.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to book sightseeing tours?

Thank you. I plan to go one day to Suzhou and ZhouZhuang and the other day to HangZhou. I just wonder what is the best way (and cheapest) to book all my tours.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to book sightseeing tours?

I was in Beijing in September 2009 and in my opinion, never book a tour through an agency. You will pay more. Research all the places that you want to visit and simply take the subway to the destination of as near as possible and continue by walking or taxi. The subway is cheap and safe. Do remember that rush hours traffic grid could be bad in Beijing. A bus trip is also good, but get the route number from youe hotel and inform the driver of your destination, so that you get off at the right stop.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,523 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to book sightseeing tours?

As mentioned, all the places you are going to can be done by yourself. All easy to get around & English friendly. Also a guide book is a good investment. The DK eyewitness Guides do a combined one for Beijing / Shanghai.

If you did want to be shown around and there are 2 or more of you it might work out more economical to get a private guide rather than a per person guided tour from a tour company - Especially as some of the tour companies charge per person in American Dollars. Ask Chineseqing on the Beijing forum or Cuteminmin on the Shanghai forum.

If you are travelling by yourself most hostels do good & cheap day tours. You don't have to stay there. There is Downtown Backpackers in Beijing. What ever tour company you choose, make sure they specify NO shopping stops as some have a reputation for dragging you around Jade & Silk etc etc shops where they hope to make a commission if you buy anything.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to book sightseeing tours?

The metro and walking are certainly the cheapest way.

You hotel will probably have a tours desk.

A bus trip to the Great Wall, Ming Tombs and 3 assorted sales opportunities (Jade, Cloisonnier, Tea and/or Silk) including lunch is about 380 RMB. It is not easy to do this one by train and you get the advantage of some other people doing the same tour, so a shared experience.

A car with driver is 400 RMB for 4 hours and a guide an extra 200 or so.

At several of the attractions people will offer themselves as guides. You may be asked to pay their entrance as well, or you may find one inside who has paid their own entrance. You should be able to negotiate on the price here as in many other places in China, or use one of the audio guides.

6. Re: where to book sightseeing tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 05:16