We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

In October this year,we booked John Ping through the internet to pick us up at the airport in Beijing,and also for a trip to Mutianyu Wall a couple of days later.

He did pick us up at the airport but told us that he was maybe not available to take us to the wall himself as he had an American couple who had yet to confirm their booking with him.As we had arranged everything prior to our arrival in Beijing, we were surprised by this change of events as we had expected to use his services and not somebody else's.

Sure enough he sent someone else to drive us to the Wall, who could not utter a word of English and not only that, he drove like a bloody lunatic. We actually got car-sick from his erratic driving,seemed like he was hell bent on delivering us asap. John told us that he would be at the wall to meet up, but he was nowhere to be seen. We were literally dumped at the carpark as the driver just walked off on his own.

Finally we met John when we got down from the wall and he had the cheek to ask if we had a good trip with his driver mate!

To all those out there who are thinking of using his services,let this be a word of caution. We think he got unhappy with us on the way from the airport to the hotel when he asked if we were interested in buying electronic stuff and we declined outright.

This added a very sour note to our trip to China in Oct this year. Was relieved when we found an extremely lovely driver in Xian on our next leg of the journey.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
361 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

Had a similar experience with Alvin Benton!

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

I'm sure there will be lots of posts in the next week all testifying to what an excellent driver John Ping (and Alvin Benton) is!'

I think double booking of tourists is becoming an increasing problem in Beijing and Xi'an. Some drivers and guides get a good reputation and are increasingly popular with more bookings than they can handle. Then they start using friends and other contacts to take the extra customers - unfortunately the new drivers often don't have the language skills or people skills.

Considering people are often paying a premium to use drivers such as John Ping / Alvin Benton, they quite rightly feel short changed. Perhaps the only answer is to use a less well known driver and pay a cheaper price. There are many listed here: thebeijinger.com/classifieds/…Cars-Drivers

3. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2009, 15:17
4. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 13:02
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

Here we go......It's starting already.

Double booking is starting to be a problem. It's happening in other places as well.

It would be best for all concerned if they simply say they are unavailable which allows travelers to come to another arrangement.

It's very bad that some people are on the trip of a lifetime and are let down & disappointed due to these sorts of incidences.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

I cannot fully understand what you are saying. Are you saying that I am lucky that all I experienced was a non-English speaking crazy driver so therefore I should not place the blame on John Ping?

Oh please, who bumped me off onto this driver in the first place? I totally disagree with you that John Ping gives good service,just look at what he did to us.It was unethical of him to accept double bookings in the first place. That was plain greed on his part.

People out there ought to know these tricksters.

Syd
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

I had a bad experience with Catherine Lu too. I think we need to expose these people. I believe people are creating different profiles and do self promotion in the forum.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
361 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

I do not understand double booking. What do they stand to gain? I agreed to Alvins asking price. If someone else was paying him more was the small difference worth the loss of his reputation?

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
886 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

It is strange, I see many topics that tell us the drivers and the guides are bad today. Is this true or just a *Malicious competition*???

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of John Ping from beijingcardriver.com

mashet,

maybe they think that they will never see you again and it doesn't matter.

serious under-estimation of the power of forums like this. where they probably got the work-load in the firstplace.