We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

Hello,

I will be going to China the last two weeks of September. Initially planned for 3 weeks and got tons excellent advice on this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294211-i642-k1360…

However found out that I will likely not be able to stretch for 3 weeks and will have only 2 weeks(14-15 days) . I know I will be doing Beijing, Shanghai and HK. What else would you advise.

A few things about how I plan my trip:

- I like it slow paced. I'd rather skip something than rush. It`s a vacation

- I like Architecture and sights more than history. And I usually don't tour all the sights of each city, just the absolute must see

- I love natural beauty and landscapes. So if it's not too much out of the way or doesn't take too much time I'd go for that.

Right now, I am thinking

2n Beijing (night train to Xi'an?)

1n train Beinjing to Xi'an

1n Xi'an

1n train to Shanghai

2n Shanghai

4-5 days/ nights ...not sure what to do or where to go

3n HK - fly home

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

PS: My planned budget can afford flights. I mentioned night trains because I thought they would save us time. I had a bad experience in India with flights being delayed all the time and taking the best part of the day, hence my slight preference for trains. And I think I do remeber that trains are decent in China and recommendable.

Mentioned in this post
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

Hi Spartac,

A lot of people took a lot of time to answer your inquiry about a three-week tour. OK. So you got the advice and did you take it? Did you buy the DK Eyewitness Guide to China and/or Lonely Planet? Are you going to do some research this time?

The answers to your questions have already been invented in the prior thread. Why re-invent them? Not much has changed. The geography has not changed. The Olympics have come and gone. Prices have gone up a bit in China with inflation. Taxis and restaurants are a bit more expensive. Hotels seem about the same as in 2007.

For a first timer, four days are essential in Beijing, but you would know that if you did some research. Xi'an is worth one night on your schedule. The world's fair, Expo 2010, is in Shanghai this September, worth two days if you are into that sort of thing.

Hong Kong is not representative of China, but of British colonial rule of a former sleepy port village. You will not see China history, scenery or architecture in HK. They are to be found in Lijiang, Beijing, Jiuzhaigou, Nanjing and so forth.

I think you had best determine where you want to visit, and then come back for additional information. Two weeks is very little time and we cannot read your mind. Four places in two weeks is about right. Anything more is too rushed.

Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Nanjing
Nanjing
Jiangsu, China
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

SoBeSparky...I find your attitude quite aggressive. I let it slide the first time but this is uncalled for. No one is forced to answer these questions and I am not expecting anyone to read my mind (as per you little comment). And yes, I have the Frommer`s and the Lonely Planet. But nothing beats the opinion of the people who know the country and can provide personal opinion. So a little respect/courtesy, por favor. Or ignore my posts. Your pick.

Anyways, thanks for the input you have provided about not doing more than 4 places.

China
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

there is a best choice for you to visit my hometown --Zhangjiajie and has a

overnight train form Shanghai to there and you can stay there 2 nights and 3 days , Zhangjiajia is famouse of the unique landscape which is called

Sandstone forest peak and listed in the World nature heritage by UNESCO , with a gorgeous Nature scenery and colorful ethnic customs

, it must be a nice choice for you , come and see , pls feel free to

ask for more details !!At last , wish you have a fabulous trip in China !!

Mentioned in this post
Zhangjiajie
Zhangjiajie
Hunan, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

we just did xi'an, beijing, shanghai in 10 days. you should be able to do more in 2 weeks.

suggest you fly, costs the same but saves time.

beijing: suggest at least 3 days. big, huge place, lots of walking.

1 day tiananmen area, national center of performing arts, temple of heaven, wangfujing shopping area at night. skip forbidden city if you are not into history,

1 day subway day: summer palace, maybe ruins of old summer palace if interested, bird's nest and water cube.

1 day to the greatwall, your choice as to which section. hotel can book tour for you easily.

xi'an: suggest 1 day, most represntative is the terra cotta warriors and old city wall, bell and drum towers at night.

shanghai: suggest 3 days. 1 day puxi, 1 day pudong, 1 day world expo (if you are there, might as well see it). take the dragon boat cruise on the huangpu river at night.

hongkong: not representative of china, like the other reply said. if you are into scenery/nature, suggest the following for the remainging days:

hangzhou: 1-2 day (this one i do suggest a 1hr bullet train ride from shanghai). very relaxing and beautiful, great food.

yellow moutain: 2 days. a favorite to many and my next destination.

Jiuzhaigou national park: 2-3 days. the best national park in china. been a few years since i went, not sure if there's direct flight now. we stayed overnight in chengdu and enjoyed the authentic hotpot, yum!

hope this helps.

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

If yo are looking for great natural scenerey, you may want to consider climbing Mt Huashan as a day trip from Xian. Check out images on Google images to see if it interests you. Also, if you are interested in scenery, I definitely recommend trains to planes. We loved the train ride from Beijing to Xian.

Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

good point about mt huashan. sep. should be a good time weather wise to hike up. we skipped it because my in-laws wouldn't be able to do it with their bad knees etc. people typically recommened staying at the foot of the mt. the night before so you can start the hike early or attempt to catch the sunrise...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

For Beijing it is best to try and spend at least 4 days as there is so much to see.

Sleeper train to Xi'an - 1 day is fine.

2 to 3 days in Shanghai is okay. You might want to add a day trip or overnight stay to a water town like Tongli or Xitang.

If you are into scenery & landscapes then I would rethink Hong Kong and use this time to visit some natural sites instead. There are heaps to choose from:

Wulong County / Wansheng Area in Chongqing.

Jiuzhaigou / Huanglong in Sichuan

Yangshuo / Li River / Longshen in Guangxi

Huang Shan & the Huizhou villages in Anhui.

Zhangjiajie (Wulingyuan) in Hunan.

Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Chongqing
Chongqing
Chongqing Region, China
Zhangjiajie
Zhangjiajie
Hunan, China
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

Wao! Thank you guys for all the feedback!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice for 2 weeks

OK, after some rethinking I managed to get 17 days and nights in China. I will be arriving early/Mid afternoon on Friday Sept 24th and Deprting on Monday October 11th (Morning)

Itinerary looks like thi:

3.5 days in Beijing - Night train to Xi'an

2 days in Xi'an - Night train to Shanghai

2 days in Shanghai - overnight train (end 2nd day) or flight (early 3rd day) to Huang Shan

3 days Huang Shan - flight to YangShuo (through Guilin)

3 days Yangshuo - Flight or train to HK?

3 days Hang Kong

I have a few questions:

1) How does the Itinerary look?

2) To be honest, I am not way too crazy about Xi'an. Saw a documentery and not sure if it's worth the detour. But everyone keeps sayin that Terra Cota Solidiers are a must see. Any advice?

3) I am wondering if Jiuzhaigou or Hangzhou or Pingyao shouldn't be on itenerary, instead of some of the destinations I have

Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Hangzhou