We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying visit - quick shop & quick look

australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Flying visit - quick shop & quick look

Hi there,

Might be doing a quick flying visit to Beijjing late this month. Maybe only 2 days max. Would like to know what and where to buy the following and what price would I be expected to pay :

NINTENDO DS

IPOD

DVDS

Nike joggers for children

An advice is greatly appreciated. Waiting to confirm hotel location as it is a work trip.

Thanks.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,936 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying visit - quick shop & quick look

Electronics are more expensive in China. Ipods are certainly more expensive than your home country.

DVDs of decent quality are 10 to 15rmb (but still fakes and possibly not working properly)

Beijing
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying visit - quick shop & quick look

I'm assuming you want to buy the fake versions of these items and not legit ones. For the clothing/shoes, Yashow, Silk Alley, or the Pearl Market are all options, though I'd advise Yashow only because its closer to the majority of DVD sellers and a number of decent dining spots.

If you're looking for better fakes or refurbished versions of the electronics, I'd go to Zhongguancun in Haidian for the best, though if you want to make it easier, there is Buy Now at Chaoyangmen Wai, not far from Yashow. There are also a few decent stores for gamers on Gulou East Rd, probably the better place to buy a Nintendo. No matter where you go, inspect very carefully, bargain hard, and hope you get what you think you are paying for. Personally, I wouldn't go to any of these places to buy an iPod or Nike shoes (these are fakes and rarely offer the same padding as the real deal).

DVDs will cost between RMB5-10 (maybe a little more in some shops for DVD-9), depending on where you buy and what "quality" they claim they are.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying visit - quick shop & quick look

If you are flying via Hong Kong, check out duty free at the airport for your electronics & runners (joggers).

Although if the runners are for kids, if you have time go to Silk Road (?) market and bargain HARD.

4. Re: Flying visit - quick shop & quick look

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 05:17