We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

Hubby and I are taking two young children ages 9 and 7 to visit China this summer. I found myself having trouble booking hotel rooms online. It seems when I enter 2 adults and 2 children, no room is available. I can only select 2 adults and 1 child. Is this due to their 1 child policy? Can I book hotels in China with 2 adults and 1 child, then show up with 2 kids at checking? Will I get in trouble? Also, do I book a room with 2 twin beds to accommodate a family of four? (They don't seem to have the 2 queen beds option commonly available in the US)

Chengdu, China
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

The problem you're experiencing is likely due to issues with the website you are attempting to make your reservation from and not a result of the one-child policy. Have you tried using agoda.com to make your reservation? You should be able to find an accommodation by entering your preferences there.

If you book a hotel with 2 adults and 1 child, you will most likely be charged an extra fee only if an extra cot is added to your room. 2 twins beds might be a little tight for a family of four and some hotels also have requirements specifying the maximum number of people allowed in each room. However, you could request that you would like a room with two queen beds or look for a hotel with a family room. Hope this helps!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

First you should know that the one child policy does not apply to everyone in China and many families have several children.

The problems you are facing are more likely due to hotel or website restrictions. I think that rooms with 2 queen beds are quite rare in China. Maybe you should book using the hotel website rather than online travel agents as I suspect you are doing.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

Yes, I have tried ctrip.com. hotels.com, agoda.com, and the hotel websites directly, and so far when I enter 2 adults and 2 children, it shows no availability...I haven't been able to book any hotel rooms for our China trip. This is starting to get a bit stressful. I wanted to know how other travelers with young children have managed...

Thanks!!

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

Contact the agency by email: For example elong has elong.net/customer/customer%20support.html

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

I don't think it's a problem. Book the hotel, and ask if they could add a bed in their rooms.

It's no business with 1-kid policy.

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

We're having the exact same problem -- we're a family of 4, two kids ages 9 and 7 --and EVERY hotel says we need two adjoining rooms! If you figure this out, will you post what you learn? I will do the same!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

Yes, you should not book from any online travel agencies. The best way is to call the hotel you prefer directly, and generally, they can add a bed for you. Or you should go the hotel's official website to book and contact with them.

melbourne
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

Best to check with individual hotels on their websites as they usually state their extra bed policy and maximum in room policy. In my experience, web agencies tend to err on the conservative side with maximum numbers- I have travelled many times with 3 children and almost always book directly with the hotel on the best available rate which generally allows you to cancel without penalty within a day or so pre arrival.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

If they haven’t changed their policy, Novotels allow two kids to share for free a room with their parents. The Novotel Peace hotel is well located in Beijing, but it is worth getting a room in their newer tower (you may have to pay for a superior room to do that) – their older rooms are often criticized here. We stayed there last summer with our daughter – two queen beds plus a small sofa area in a superior room, all was fine, although their very good buffet restaurant was quite expensive, and their pool area was small (but usable).

We got a good sale price by booking directly with them - better than via the other online agencies.

Edited: 04 June 2010, 21:52
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with booking a hotel room for family of four

When we travel with our 2 girls I get a separate ajoining room for them. I know this will not be the best option for some due to cost or the ages of the kids.

The other option you have is booking hotel style accomodation. There are plenty of options in most major cities. As you have posted this in the Beijing forum I can give you a list of apartment style places if you want one. They will be slightly more expensive than one hotel room but it will give you a bit of extra space.

On the occasions where we have decided to stay in one room, with an extra double I contact the hotel direct rather than going thru a booking agency. The direct rate with most hotels can be just as cheap as a booking agency. If you are trying to stay in Chinese run hotels and get scared off my the rates they display on their own web page it pays to disregard the prices shown & conntact the hotel direct. Chinese run hotels usually show amazingly high prices on their webpages - you need to contact them (email)& ask for their best discount price.

If you are using CTrip & are having problems with their booking system. Either email them or phone them ( they have English speaking customer service staff). They are very good at sorting out accommodation problems and can contact the hotel you are interested in to clarify.