We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift for Chinese Host - What to Bring?

Champaign-Urbana...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gift for Chinese Host - What to Bring?

I am an American student studying in Beijing for part of the summer. I have recently made a Chinese friend through my university who is the same age as me. She invited me to her home for a Dragon Boat Festival dinner with her family on Wednesday (tomorrow!). Should I bring a gift? What should I bring? How about fruit? I don't have anything from my home that I could give her and her family (I wish I did). If I bring a gift, should I give the gift to my friend or to her mother? Are there any other delicacies of Chinese etiquette I should be aware of?

Thanks so much!

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift for Chinese Host - What to Bring?

Give to the mother. Anything nicely packaged will be fine. Eat and drink slowly as you will find that your bowl and glass is forever being filled up.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift for Chinese Host - What to Bring?

Try some nicely gift wrapped, good quality tea. Maybe some of the little tead balls that have a flower inside them. You serve them in a glass teapot and watch them unfurl as they hit the water.

Like Drumbrakes suggests present it too her mother.Hold it out to her in both hands. She might make a show of trying not to except it or shakes her head. Don't be surprised if she does not opened in front of you - It is good manners to open it later so you don't appear greedy. Maybe also get a small gift for your friend )box of European Chocolates from Jenny Lou's or April Gourmet) and present it to her at the end of the day - a parting gift.

The Dragon Boat festival will be fun. hope you enjoy your day.

Champaign-Urbana...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift for Chinese Host - What to Bring?

Thanks for your suggestions! I ended up bringing tea for my friend's mother and chocolate for my friend and they loved the gifts! I had a fantastic time at the meal and ate so much delicious food that I rolled out of their home. One of my favorite memories of Beijing :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift for Chinese Host - What to Bring?

Thanks for letting us know how you went. Sounds like a lovely day with good memories :-)

5. Re: Gift for Chinese Host - What to Bring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 07:23