We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

Hello,

I will be traveling in China between Sept 19th and Oct 11th and this is what my itinerary looks like

Beijing (4 days) --Night Train -- Xi'an (1 day) -- morning flight -- Shanghai (3 days) -- Morning flight -- Kunming (1 day) -- Morning flight -- Dali (2 days) -- bus/train -- Lijiang (3 days) -- flight -- Guilin or Longshen (1 day) -- bus -- Yangshuo (2 days) -- bus+direct flight from Guilin -- Hong Kong (3 days)

How does this look? I already checked flights timetables and it is not too bad.

I also have one additional day to spend and not sure where to add it. Have a few ooptions:

- Add one day in Yunnan, Not sure if Kunming deserves more than one day (landing at noon) to see the stone Forest and Caves. Maybe Shaxi?

- Add one day in HK to visit Macau (although heard that it's not really worth it?) or one extra day in Beijing (but I already have 4 full days and nights...)

- Add one Day in Yangshuo? Not sure what to do in the region?

- Add another destination Maybe around the centers I will be visiting? Would have loved Huan Shan but don't think can fit it in. Hangzhou, as a day trip from Shanghai?

Here's an original post that I have started way back. I talks about my interests (natural sights and Architecture). My itinerary has changed since then as I think Yunnan is worth it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294211-i642-k1360…

Thank you for any advice. I need to start booking flights (Especially for the Golden week) but still I am not sure because of the extra day.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

One additional info: we're not really hickers. So even in the Tiger Leaping Gorge we want to see it and do some limited walking but nothing hardcore. So not even sure if 3 days in Lijiang is not too much. Have not fully researched the area.

Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
320 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

I found my 3 nights in Shanghai to be too much after my 5 nights in Beijing. One large city was enough. Suggest 2 nights. I LOVED Yangshuo and wished for more nights. Xian is worth 2 nights. Great shopping in the market area.

Can't help you with Kunming, Dali or Lijiang.

Here's my journal, which includes Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Yangshuo and Hong Kong: luvtotravel.homestead.com/ChinaJrnl2008.html

Monica

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

Nice itinerary.

If you have an extra day I would either add it to Lijiang & do a day trip to Zhongdain (ShangriLa). Especially if you are into natural sights & architecture - stop at the Sumsteling Gompa (Songzanlin Monestary) just before you reach Zhongdian. It is outstanding.

Or you could go from Lijiang & overnight in Shaxi & then onto Dali.

Or add it to your time in Yangshuo or Beijing.

3 days in Shanghai is plenty but you could always do an overnight trip to a water town like Xitang or Tongli from Shanghai.

Have a look at mjpileggi's website. Monica always has great blogs and her pictures are wonderful :-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

Thank you guys. Will take the time to read the blog and process info.

Have not thought of Shangri-La. Also saw there are some direct flights from there to Kunming, so might not have to backtrack to Lijiang

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

Yeah, I agree with heading to Shangri-la after several days in Lijiang and experience Tiger-Leaping Gorge for sure! Hiking there is not hard core actually, either 1 day or 2 days. Better choice is actually taking minibus from Lijiang to Daju, and take ferry to the Tiger Leaping Gorge. Tibetan culture and architecture in Shangri-la can not be missed!!

I think you can find groups to join in for Tiger Leaping Gorge and Shangri-la when you arrive Lijiang, lots of local agents in the old town.

Good plan!!

Cnadventure

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

Not sure if you've already included this in you're trip, but the Yungang grottoes in Datong are stunning, and there aren't huge crowds there , so you have the place to yourself, for the most part. We did it as a day trip from Beijing, along with the hanging monastery, which was also amazing.

7. Re: Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 04:35
8. Re: Advice needed with a 3 week itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 05:18