We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midlands
Level Contributor
20 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

If anyone could comment on our proposed itinerary I’d be very grateful and I have a few questions that I would love answered. We have pulled it together from the tripadvisor forum and the Lonely Planet books (restaurants mainly from this one). If any parts are a bit vague, it is because I haven’t done the detail yet and wanted to get this out for comment!

Day 1 Arrive from England about midday, so will probably be tired. Will take taxi to hotel (about 100 RMB) is this the amount per taxi, irrespective of the number of occupants? Our hotel is the Days Inn at the Forbidden City, which seems a really good location. I must get its address in Chinese though, where do you think I’d get that? I thought we’d wander to the Shopping on Wangfujing Dajie and check out a place there for dinner (any ideas?) we may have a late lunch in the fast food restaurant Zeng Kung Fu, which I think, is there. At 19:34 we’ll see the sunset in Tiananamen Square, with marching and flag coming down. Then back to see Donghuamen night market and eat.

Day2. Visit the Forbidden City (plus Jingshan Park) and the Beihai Park to see a temple. We may add other stuff to this day. Lunch unknown, dinner at Beijing Dadong Roast Duck Restaurant. Early evening go to either a Kung Fu or Acrobat show, can anyone recommend which is the best? Some reviews say that the Kung Fu show is more a story rather than involving Kung Fu displays?

Day3. Start at the Temple of Heaven then got to Tiananamen Square with I walk past the Egg building. My husband isn’t sure about queuing to see Mao – are there always big queues? Is there much benefit in climbing the Tiananamen and Qianmen gates? In the evening we want to eat at Makye Ame with its Tibetan floorshow and visit the Shard Box Store and Silk Market.

Day4. Drum and Bell Towers and Lama Temple, with the Hutongs around Nanluogu Xiang. Visiting Plastered T-shirts shop. We may have lunch at Xiao. In the evening we are going to see the Bird’s Nest Stadium and Cube all lit up and then going to Ghost Street to eat at Hua Jia Yi Yuan.

Day5. Great Wall at Mutianyu Day! Taxi. Negotiate a fixed price 400 - 500 RMB and don't need an english speaking one, get hotel to help with negotiation. Get there when it opens: 8am! How long will it take a taxi to get to great wall? If we get dropped at tower 20 and picked up at tower 6, will we have to get taxi driver to understand that, or to we walk back to tower 20 to get taxi back? What about food on that day? We will take water. I had allocated the Dali Courtyard for dinner, but my husband pointed out that I may be being very brave since you just get the set food for the day. Has anyone been there?

Day6. The Zoo to see the pandas (really early) then the Summer Palace. I think we may go by boat to the summer palace, but that might mean hanging around till 10am. What is the best other way to get there? Dinner at Baguo Buyi.

Day7. Off to train station to get bullet train to Tanggu, then taxi to the port (Xingang) 50 RMB per car flat rate (20min) Get on ship and relax till we hit our first Japanese port of call.

When we come back to get the shuttle bus to Beijing airport, looking at the website bcia.com it says shuttle from Tanggu(?) not port, is this a different one?

That is it so far. I’d greatly appreciate any answers to my questions and comments on the itinerary. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

I can answer some of your questions:

Will take taxi to hotel (about 100 RMB) is this the amount per taxi, irrespective of the number of occupants?

Yes (unless it's more for very many? I don't know, or know how many will be in your party).

Our hotel is the Days Inn at the Forbidden City, which seems a really good location. I must get its address in Chinese though, where do you think I’d get that?

I would call or email the hotel directly and ask them to email it to you.

Early evening go to either a Kung Fu or Acrobat show, can anyone recommend which is the best? Some reviews say that the Kung Fu show is more a story rather than involving Kung Fu displays?

I haven't seen them both, but I saw Kung Fu. I've heard that the Acrobat is better, and I tend to believe it is. The Kung Fu show is a bit cheesy.

Get there when it opens: 8am! How long will it take a taxi to get to great wall?

I just did this - it seemed to go fast, but I think it was 1.5 hours - but maybe someone else will be able to tell you or it might be posted on this forum's information about the different Great Wall sections. Getting there early is definitely worth it to avoid the crowds. Be sure to ask and make sure that the driver will be taking you straight there and back and not visiting shops along the way.

Enjoy!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

At Mutianyu it's just one car park - no different drop-off/pick-up points here. You have to do all the wandering on foot.

Go to the Summer Palace by subway or taxi.

Qianmen gate used to have historical displays of old Beijing inside - quite interesting if it's still on.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,387 posts
1,558 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

On your first day if you are in the Wangfujing area that is a good time to try Da Dong where they have a new plush branch...not cheap though.

Dali Courtyard serves great 'normal' type food. No surprises there and very tastey.

You havent allocated any time for shopping at markets such as the Beijing Zoo, Pearl and Silk Markets...that is if you like shopping...and...fierce haggling.

Tommo

Indiana
Level Contributor
785 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

Funny, we did the exact same thing. I put together an itinerary in a spreadsheet with prices. I sent it to a private tour guide and she inserted correct prices and told me exactly what could and could not be done in the same day. Her contact info is Lily Xy (lily_fuwa@yahoo.com). The private guide was very inexpensive by Western standards, so you might want to run it by her and see if you can work out a deal.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 04:51
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

Days Inn Forbidden City - 北京香江戴斯酒店

Chinese Address:

北京 东城区 南河沿大街南湾子1号

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

There is a map here - to print out & show your taxi driver :

http://www.daysinn.cn/hotel/23a.htm

midlands
Level Contributor
20 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

Thank you very much for all the great replies and will take all on board. Will look into the acrobat show; is there one that is better than the others? Relieved about the Dali Courtyard food, do you think I need to try to book all these restaurants in advance, or wait till we get to the hotel? We do want to go shopping, but I must admit I hate haggling, so I don’t know how we’ll get on. I’ll research the Beijing Zoo shopping (is it in the zoo?), have already looked into the other two and quite fancy the silk market but don’t like aggro. I found a great website for the Schoolhouse restaurant at the Great Wall, which includes a very good map of the Mutianyu area – it shows exactly what you mean about the drop off/pick up issue. Thanks very much for the hotel’s name and address in Chinese, that will be very useful.

I realise that most folk don’t have the need to go to Tanggu, but if anyone can give me a clear picture of where to get the Airport shuttle bus from the port, I would be very grateful. I do have what I think is a Chinese language description from a previous post: 天津市南开区红旗路与鞍山西道交口处., but where this is, ie at the port , at Tanggu bus station? If I show the above to a taxi driver will it get us to the correct place?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

Dali Courtyard you will need to book. Depends what other restaurants you are going to. Some restaurants do not take bookings so at busy popular places you turn up & wait for a table.

For shopping GreenArcher has a great post going with lots of tips: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k347… Don't be too put off about the markets. You just need to stay friendly, do not look interested and start off at a very low price.

Re Tanggu: Are you saying you want to get the Airport Shuttle Bus from Tanggu Port to the Beijing Capital airport? Or do you want a shuttle bus from Tanggu Port to Beijing?

midlands
Level Contributor
20 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

Thanks, I'll look at the shopping tips. I was wanting to get to Beijing airport. Where I was going to get the free hotel shuttle bus to stay at the Crowne Plaza before flying home the next day. I suppose an alternative would be to get a taxi back to Tanggu train station, get a bullet train back to Beijing South station and then get a taxi from there directly to the hotel?

Tempe
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Day Beijing Itinerary, please comment/ans questions

On your first day, there are some food courts in a couple of the malls on Wangfujiang which have lots of easy choices - just point! You need to buy a card, but when you are done they refund any balance. They are called Food Republic and one is in Oriental Plaza (basement) and another in the mall near the night market (one of the top floors). In my on-line searching they were called something else though. Cheap, tasty, easy and full of locals.