We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour guide information requested

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
5 posts
Save Topic
tour guide information requested

Hi - I have been reading the posts for a few weeks now - I am traveling to BJS in November in a party of 6. Myself, my son (21), daughter (17), father (76), sister and her son (6). I know it is a varied group with all those ages and while Dad is older he is pretty spry for his age. I orignally planned on using Lily but unfortunately she has already given the date I need to someone else. I am now looking for specific recommendations from others who have used guides in BJS and are satisfied. If you could give me specific reasons why you recommend the guide and a rough estimate on their cost I would greatly appreciate it. Obviously we want to hit all the highpoints and are also looking to maybe do a few things that are not so touristy. Also kids are insisting they want to try the peking duck, hand-pulled noodles and dumplings (ok the dumplings are for me LOL). So any suggestions about that would be great too. Looking forward to everyone's replies.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour guide information requested

hi! Just sent you a bunch of emails on tour guides that I culled from TA. Hope it helps.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
739 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour guide information requested

just sent you a PM with some of my research. So many people on TA have helped me plan my trip for this Oct. Will post a trip report and will be able to read it before you depart.

New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour guide information requested

Would you please send me your list of tour guides in Beijing? Thank you.

Atlanta, Ga.
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour guide information requested

Please send me your list of guides! Thank you.

new york
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tour guide information requested

I will send what I have rec'd to both of you. I have narrowed it down to the guide that I felt a good connection with - my fingers are crossed that I made the right choice. Still finalizing the cost of the van but we'll see how that works out.

Now I am looking for suggestions for food. I will be going to the DaDong for the peking duck and I want to stop at the schoolhosue on the way back from the wall for lunch.

Any suggestions for the hand-pulled noodles or the dumplings??

ann arbor, michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour guide information requested

I think I just emailed you the tour guide name and email that we used. tony-- if not I did post a message about him here in the forum....

we used him in May and he is excellent

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour guide information requested

I'm going there in a week with my 2 daughters. Can you also send me the list? thanks

Ottawa
Level Contributor
43 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour guide information requested

I am nearing 70 so I may have some sense of how your father will enjoy Beijing.

First: a guide is not, strictly, necessary if you plan to focus on just the "big" attractions - Summer Palace (it's going to be cool in November); Tian'anmen; Forbidden City; Summer Palace; Hutongs; Lama Temple; Sacred Way etc. Your father may want to sit out part of the Great Wall while young people climb - I think Mutianyu Great Wall is best but even the walk up to the cable car is steep. A really good guide book and some help from your hotel concierge can suffice. That being said I employ a guide in Beijing, even though I could get around by myself, because language is a real problem and she has insights the guide books lack.

Second: you may want to hire a van rather than rely upon taxis, your guide or hotel can help with that but it is expensive. One family (with several young children) who stayed in the same hotel as I (Park Plaza Wangfujing - which I reviewed, very favourably, in the appropriate section) did that (arranged by the hotel concierge) and were very pleased as their driver performed some of the duties one would normally expect from a guide.

Third: a good guide will help you find the sorts of restaurants and 'off the beaten track' sites you want.

All that being said: I can recommend susanliuyun@hotmail.com

Susan is probably not the the cheapest guide in Beijing, but:

+Her English is good and she speaks loudly enough for we who are somewhat deaf;

+ She is a real Beijinger who knows the city well (several people here on Trip Advisor have warned about guides who do not know Beijing well enough at all);

+ She is very conscientious and careful with the needs of we older folks; and

+ She is good at getting 'off the beaten track' - something I always want, too.

I'm a fairly seasoned traveler who has been to China a few times; I will return next year and I will employ Susan again - for what that's worth.

Indiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour guide information requested

You can do a search in this forum to get a bunch of names. Make sure they are licensed and try calling them to ensure they speak English as advertised.

I highly recommend Lily Xy. This is my review.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k378…

If you send me a PM with an email, I will send you a spreadsheet with detailed cost estimates and itinerary for 6 people. We had 6 in our group and used Lily.

san diego, CA
Level Contributor
63 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tour guide information requested

I am quite hearing impaired, even with high quality hearing aids. I need a guide who speaks Englis, loudly, slowly and distinctly, with no accent or a very minimal one. Please send me any recommendations and also, let me know if the guides pick you up at your hotel and take you back there. Thanks so much for any help!

Ellie

Edited: 01 September 2010, 20:41