We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
47 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

Hi

I'm preparing my first trip to China.

Before choosing a Hotel i need to know which is the best neighborhood. I pretend to be close to the main attractions, but where i also can go out at night and find some nightlife (restaurants bars etc..).

Is Dongcheng around the Wangfujing street, ok? Or what do you recomend?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Wangfujing Street
Wangfujing Street
3,317 Reviews
Beijing, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

It depends what you mean by short stay. If you are not going to have time to see all the main attractions, I would suggest staying somewhere around the Hutong area near Houhai/Drum Tower. There is both nightlife and interesting daytime scenery there. Wangfujing is just a 'high-end' shopping street with a choice of many hotels. You cannot be close to all the major sites because they are spread out all over the city. If you want to be close to bars, nightclubs and more western-style restaurants then Sanlitun is a better choice.

Mentioned in this post
Beijing Drum Tower Youth Hostel
Beijing Drum Tower Youth...
122 Reviews
Beijing, China
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

What is your budget? What sort of hotel do you want - modern 5 star or happy with 3 to 4 star or a traditional guesthouse?

Wangfujing is tourist mecca for hotels. It is certainly central to restaurants & shopping areas and some sights.

There are other places that are equally close to great good restaurants, bars & night life. Depends if you want an ultra modern or more traditional feel.

You wont be able to pick somewhere that is central as the sights of Beijing are well & truly spread out.

Mentioned in this post
Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

for convenience and exploring, wangfujing or tiananmen square area are great.

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
47 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

Thank you all for the help.

This will be my first time in China, and the first time i travel all alone.

I pretend to saty 5 days in Beijing and then continue to Shanghai,

A 4 star hotel is ok. A traditional stay (courtyard hotel) also isinteresting, but as i speak no mandarim, it maybe will be more complicated... or not?

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

I don't think it will make any difference whether you speak Mandarin or not. There is usually someone with some English ability at any type of hotel (don't expect any Portugese, though).

Beijing
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

I stayed at the Jade Garden hotel. It was a good option if you want to be close to Tian. square and the Forbidden city.

Mentioned in this post
Jade Garden Hotel
Jade Garden Hotel
489 Reviews
Beijing, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,459 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

Not speaking english mandarin is not an issue in Bei9jing (and Shanghai) so this should not impact your hotel selection.

Understand that there is no central location in Beijing to see all the attractions. You will need to move around in any case.. You can look for something close to a subway although taxis are cheap in any case.

As Annie says above, it depends on your budget. This is not New York or London when it comes to the price of hotels. If you check a website such as www.wotif.com you will get an idea of prices. You can get a room in a big luxury international chain for less than $200 for sure.

As far as nightlife, there are various spots around town. The Wangfujing is somewhat touristy and mostly about shopping. You can find a lot of bars north of there at Houhai or around Sanlitun where you find a lot of expats and not just tourists. Several hotels as well around Sanlitun.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

You might find this recent post interesting.

It lists moderate prices hotels as well as traditional guesthouses - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k391…

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
47 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

Thank you all again

I'll take a look at all the information, during the next day's.

By the way Is it easy to find a private guide for half or full day in Beijing?

It is maybe easier to use a guide for visitng the Hutongs or not?

Thanks again :)

Mentioned in this post
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best neighborhood for a short stay in Beijing

No need for a guide unless you want (and should expect) in-depth commentary on places. Hutongs are just public streets so all you need is a good map to find your way around. Some guides may be able to arrange visits to private homes if that is what you're after. It is better to arrange a guide before you arrive and there are some recommendations in other threads.