We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Trip To Beijing

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
January Trip To Beijing

Hello

My partner and I are planning a trip to Beijing for January (realizing it will be very cold but willing to endure in order to escape the crowds). I have a number of questions which I would deeply appreciate the experts answering:

(1) What do you think of us hiring a taxi for the day and combining a morning trip to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall and then, in afternoon, a visit to the SUmmer Palace upon return to city? I anticipate that would give us maybe 3 hours at wall and two hours at Summer Palace (which in winter would be enough I think). If this sounds reasonable, what would you estimate the cost for a taxi for the entire trip should cost us?

(2) We have six additional days in Beijing (beyond the day to Great Wall and Summer Palace). We Have identified the following sights to visit:

Lama Temple

Confucius Temple

Imperial College

Drim Tower

Bell Tower

Nanluoguxiang

Tiennamen Square

Qian Men

Gate of Heavenly Peace

Forbidden City

Imperial City Exhibition

Dongyue Temple

Beijing Ancient Observatory

Soujteast Gate Watchtower

Altar of Heaven

White Cloud Temple

Capital Museum

Military Museum

China Millennium Monument

National Grand Theatre

Are there any of the above sights that you strongly recommend not seeing as not worth the time and/or effrt? I should say that my partner and I love sightseeing and go strong thee ntire day so we know the above list is ambitious but thats how we travel in the 35 or so trips we have taken throughout the world.

(3) The sights that we have so far decided to skip but would change our minds if we receive feedback are:

Mao's Mausoleum

Great Hall of the People

Worker's Cultural Palace (since we are spending long time at

Summer Palace)

Beijing Ancient Architecural Museum

Ming Tombs (which so many say are disappointing)

China National Museum (which appears closed anyway)

Should we see any of the above? Are there any other must see sights that we have missed?

(4) Due to cost and difficulty of converting currency to Yuan in U.S., we were going to wait until we arrive in Beijing. However, our flight arrives at 11:20 PM--are there any currency exchanging facilities or ATMS at airport where we could convert currency that late at night>

(5) We have reserved a hotel at great price on Jin Bao Street in the Dongcheng District. It seems that this provides reasonable access to public transit and major sites. Would you agree that this is a reasonable location to be based for our seven days in Beijing?

(6) While still researching, we have identified some possible restaurants:

Ding Ding Xiang (Chinese Hotpot)

Hua Jia Yi Yuan seafood)

Huang Ting (Cantonese)

Beijing Dadong (Beijing Duck)

Source (Szechuan)

Traxtirr Pushkin (Russian--what the heck-we ate Chinese in

Moscow)

Duyichu (Dumplings)

Yuelo Shanwu (Hunan)

Makye Ame (Tibetan)

What do you thin? Suggestions? Obvious mistakes in list? Other suggestions? In general, are reservations necessary for January trip?

THANK YOU all for whatever feedback any of you might be willing to provide. I have always relied on this forum for the best advice and I deeply appreciate the kindness of all who are willing to help fellow travellers.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January Trip To Beijing

OOPS--when I said we were not planning on visiting Worker's Cultural Palace, I meant to say because we were planning on spending at least half the day in The Forbidden City! Sorry.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January Trip To Beijing

1) If you don't want to stay outside too long, this seems a good plan. Maybe 500-600rmb altogether depending on whether you want the taxi to wait for you at the Summer Palace.

2) I think you've got a couple of days to play with. Not sure that the Southeast gate Watchtower is a must, though.

3) Pass. Maybe see the Olympic stadium.

4) Yes.

5) Yes.

6) Don't know.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,859 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January Trip To Beijing

Did I misread your list? I don't see the Temple of Heaven, certainly one of the top 3 attractions in the city.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January Trip To Beijing

I agree--the Temple of Heaven is also lcalled the Altar of Heaven and that is listed. From what I hear it is worth at least three or so hours. Thanks for the interest and let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
980 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January Trip To Beijing

You might want to consider the Mansion of Prince Gong.

6. Re: January Trip To Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 03:35
7. Re: January Trip To Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 07:17