We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mutianyu Great Wall

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mutianyu Great Wall

During our trip to Beijing in January (and yes we know it will be very cold), we plan on a day trip to the Mutianyu section of Great Wall. I would appreciate answers to the following:

(1) Does Vus 936 with direct service to the Wall operate throughout the year or only during the high tourist season? If it does operate, how long a trip is it?

(2) Does Bus 916 operating from Dongzhumento Huairou operate year round and seven days per week? What is the frequency of the bus and how long does the trip take?

(3) How much will a taxi cost from Huairou to the Wall and should we pay for the driver to wait or are their taxis available for the return trip?

(4) How much time would you advise we should spend at the Wall (keeping in mind that we love history and scenery and are in reasonably good shape)?

(5) Are we correct in assuming that on a weekday in January there will not be an overwhelning number of crowds on the Wall?

Thank you very much for your response.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall

1) Don't know, but if there is one (I don't think there is) it's about 3 hours.

2) Yes, it's fairly frequent - I think every half hour and takes an hour or an hour and a half.

3) One way should be about 40rmb at most but you can't guarantee getting a return. I actually doubt if you'll find a regular taxi willing to do the job but there will be drivers hanging around who you can negotiate with. Someone in one of the helpful reviews of Mutianyu said they gave their driver 150rmb after settling on 100rmb initially (not a good way to do business in China). Personally, I think you're better off getting a cab or private car direct from Beijing. It will be much more comfortable.

4) Allow at least 3 hours but prepare for up to 5 hours if you want to fully explore the wall in both directions.

5) Yes, probably.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,702 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall

It is never so crowded in any case.

How much time depends on you. I usually find that after 1.5 hour I have enough.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall

Qupnicely

Thank you very much for your feedback. The idea of a taxi from Beijing sounds much more appealing. Can you estimate the cost for roundtrip and waiting (say three to four hours)? I assume that I should not ask hotel to arrange as I have read that that dramatically increases cost. THANKS

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall

There are quite a few threads about this. I suggest you do a search to get a broader view but from what I can gather 400-600rmb off-meter is the going rate (though negotiation is usually needed). I think any good concierge can help as long as you know how much you are prepared to pay (upon return) but organising a trip through the hotel itself is always much more expensive. Check out the cab first for comfort, heating etc. If in doubt, move on to the next one in the queue.

South Pole
Level Contributor
243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall

You can find much info at the following link, including my details of using the bus, and the offers we received for more personal transport.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k387…

6. Re: Mutianyu Great Wall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 04:18