We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Street

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Topic
Food Street

What weird and wonderful things have you eaten in the beijing food streets?

crickets?

seahorse?

beetles?

Beijing
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Street

They sell all those things, but I have not tried any. Most of those items, the scorpions, seahorses, star fish, snakes on a stick etc are NOT normal Chinese food and very few Chinese people have ever actually eaten them, however the sellers see it as a great way to get money out of foreigners. When I walk through Donghuamen at night, its typically just to take pictures on the way to a far better (and cheaper) local spot nearby, but if I'm feeling hungry, a rou jia mo from one of the stalls (something like a Chinese hamburger) serves as a decent snack.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,046 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Street

Agree with the above. I never eat anything there and nobody I know does. Just a good photo op. Maybe the most unusual although not crazy thing I had was donkey hot pot. Pretty good.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Street

It are not only the foreigners who eat there. When I was there (once) I saw a Chinese family eating sea star. And I saw also other Chinese eating stuff there.

Things like the sea star is quite common Chinese food, if you go to sea side cities (like Qingdao). You will find plenty of weird sea food there.

Also the big kind of beatles (the ones that make a lot of noise in the trees in the summer) you will find at places where hardly any tourists come.

The scorpions I haven't seen at other areas, so I guess they are typically for the tourists. I had a stick with three small ones. There was also an American guy, who had a perfect description of their taste. He said: "it just tastes like potato chips, but then without the potato".

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Street

I intend to at least try the scorpion. the others I will decide on the spot. just for the experience.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Street

If you like to try something different to eat, go and have a bull frog hot pot at ghost street: :-)

Very nice, but you have to be into spicy food.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Street

A bowl of turtle soup -I did not know is was turtle until the little foot popped up !

I tend to stick to things I can identify at snack street places :-) You can get some yummy eats like little stuffed pancakes, filled bread buns or smokey flavoured lamb on sticks etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Street

annieand hamish, i would like to try turtle soup too but I have to be alone. We have a 10 year old pet turtle and I can guarantee my kids will never speak to me again if they see me have turtle soup. I wanted to try that in the Philippines but the icy gaze of my kids stopped me cold.

Just right now over dinner, my two kids told me to go to exotic foods alone. they do not want to see me eat any of those. I just want to try them.

Bepu, might just try the bullfrog hotpot! sounds tasty.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Street

cats testicles soup is the worst i've had in china.

it is just seriously wrong in every aspect...

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Street

Dog and donkey are not too uncommon in some restaurants. I had sliced sheep's testes in a hotpot in Ghost St once, and kebabed ones in a Muslim-style restaurant close by - on the menu it translated as 'sheep eggs'.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Street

Come to think of it, I believe we also had its penis as well, at the latter - I wasn't keen; it left a funny taste in my mouth.