We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blocked website

Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Blocked website

Hi fellow tripadvisor!

I am currently in Beijing right now and trying to update my blog about my travel so i can stay connected with my family back home. And i cant seem to load the website, i keep getting a message "internet explorer cannot display the webpage". I know that facebook and other social network sites are blocked like twitter but my website is just a food and travel blog....do they block that too? Can someone from China please see if you are able to go on that website...or maybe its user error or my computer...? The site is

www.yumyumblog.com

Thank you so much

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blocked website

It has the 'B' word in its URL so it's blocked. Try a proxy - sitegetter.net is working now.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blocked website

So, this means, that while in Beijing later this month, I will not be able to access Facebook from our JW Marriott hotel???

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blocked website

Is it wordpress? If so blocked I'm afraid. Google for a proxy server and try a few until you find one that works.

Nice blog by the way.

imwmn913 - yes forget facebook.

Edited: 02 October 2010, 15:09
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blocked website

for more reliable service, use a paid/free VPN service.

Beijing
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blocked website

They block whatever they want, for any reason they want. I saw your site through a proxy, and you can edit using one as well. You don't need a VPN if you're only in China temporarily (although some have one month plans you could consider), just use a web proxy.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blocked website

yeah, they/ve blocked redtube as well...

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blocked website

So, since we will be there for one week, and probably using the hotels computers in the lounge, will I even be able to access my AOL email account? I have no clue what a 'proxy ' is....

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blocked website

I think most email services are accessible in China.

For 'proxy server', google it. It is common to use one when in China, or even to bypass controls that a school or company might put on Internet access in western countries. However, some work while others do not, so perhaps see the holiday in China as a holiday from the Internet as well!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
626 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blocked website

Many web sites are blocked. You need to find "backdoors"...unfortunately I do not know of any but my daughter found them while studying there. Depending on the hotel you stay at you might have more use of the internet than at others. The blocking is not always consistant and can change. We were able to send emails home but I think you will find Facebook is blocked as are many social networking sites. My daughter could get onto Photobucket to upload photos for us to see and she could post to her blog but only sometimes. Gmail worked best for her.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blocked website

Thanks all..... It sounds like a totally pain to deal with the proxy server after reading about it. I hadn't planned on taking my laptop and I don't know if the hotel computers are able to be used with the proxy. I will just put on my 'away'message and tell people no emails. I really don't bother with email while on vacation, just go on it to clear out all the stuff so I don't come back to full mailboxes!

If I can access AOL , great if not, no big deal!!