We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wines? Do restaurants and bars have wine and happy hours?

Jkh
Washington DC
Level Contributor
405 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Wines? Do restaurants and bars have wine and happy hours?

I cannot find wine as a drink served/or rail drinks served in bars and restaurants. Also, do any places in Bejing and China have happy hours? I like wine with my meals and it seems that beer is the dominant drink throughout China. So, can one get a glass or bottle of wine at a bar or restaurant?

Edited: 05 October 2010, 03:39
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,060 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wines? Do restaurants and bars have wine and happy hours?

Sure, plenty of wine. Wine does not match well with most Chinese food so tea or beer is the drink of choice there. But in western restaurants they all have a decent selection.

Most bars or even restaurants have some kind of promotion such as happy hour. Check for details here:

http://www.thebeijinger.com/events/Dining

cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/events/nightlife/

http://www.timeout.com/cn/en/beijing/bars/

Have fun!

Beijing
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wines? Do restaurants and bars have wine and happy hours?

in the decent western style restaurant , they looks like no difference with the style in their original country. but if you want to try the food in the local restaurant, if you are lucky, some of them probably serve some chinese local wine. but most of them just go with the local liquor and beer called YING JING Or Tsing TAO. hope you enjoy your meals .

Beijing
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wines? Do restaurants and bars have wine and happy hours?

Red wine in Chinese restaurants is getting more common, but not nearly as common as beer and baijiu. If a restaurant does have wine, you get expect a very limited selection and likely domestic brands. Can't tell you how many functions I've been to when wine and baijiu are passed around and drunk the same way--as shots to gangbei.

In western restaurants you will have a better chance of getting something to pair with your meal.

As for happy hours...sure there are happy hours for beer, not sure for wine. Enoteca used to have a 200rmb special that comes with a nice bottle of wine and all-u-can-eat tapas. Happy hours for beer are usually 2-for-1 specials, and can be found in many bars. The actual hours vary, I think before 8 in most places but last week I was in Sanlintun around midnight and was in a bar right across from 3.3 and they had still had specials going on.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
287 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wines? Do restaurants and bars have wine and happy hours?

Upmarket Chinese restaurants would have wine, particularly in Beijing ad Shanghai. e.g in Beijing you'll find wine at Da dong, South Beauty. Duck de China, Crystal Jade, Lei Garden. Even places like Bellagio and Dali Courtyard have wine.

Bars - hotel bars would have wine for certain :)

Western joints would also have wine.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
912 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wines? Do restaurants and bars have wine and happy hours?

I always order wine when I have dinner in Chinese restaurants, I think wine is much healthier...

Don't worry, there are many kind of wine in restaurants, including foreign brands. But not in some small restaurants. And wine is not cheap.

Beijing
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wines? Do restaurants and bars have wine and happy hours?

Plenty of bars have happy hour and there are even some decent wine bars (check out Enoteca, now at Nali Patio in Sanlitun). If you do a search, there was recently a long discussion about wine in China, for the most part, avoid domestic wine (if you see Changyu or Great Wall on the menu, and in most little places that's what they'll have, don't order it).

7. Re: Wines? Do restaurants and bars have wine and happy hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 06:43