We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mutianyu tour

Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Mutianyu tour

Can anyone discuss the rate for engaging a guide with driver for tour to Mutianyu?

I think this has been asked many times but I am not able to see the rates through the posts.

The quotes I got were rmb850 for the drive up to Mutianyu inclusive of Ming tombs and the olympics stadium.

Beijing Tour Van Rental
Day Trips, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Multi-day Tours
China Beijing Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
LETS
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,805 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mutianyu tour

You do not need a guide to go to Mutianyu, only a driver to take you there.

You can generally get a driver for 400 to 600RMB. Afterwards you can get the driver to bring you to any attraction you want such as the Olympic Stadium. The Ming Tombs is not in the same area as Mutianyu.

You can find a driver here: thebeijinger.com/classifieds/…Cars-Drivers

yq8
Frankfurt, Germany
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mutianyu tour

400-600yuan, that price is for some illegal cars, the goverment taxi driver charge you around 600--700yuan, some drivers can speak English, if you need more help, PM

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,805 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mutianyu tour

Government taxis? Regular fully licensed taxis can be hired for a flat rate if you can speak mandarin (or know someone who can). This is the cheapest alternative at 400RMB.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mutianyu tour

What is an illegal car?

It has been reported many times that a Beijing taxi may cost as little as 400 or 500rmb inclusive of road tolls and parking fees to make this trip, off-meter. Presumably, this is the service that the above poster refers to as a 'goverment taxi driver'. A privately arranged driver (not a taxi - a private car) should cost in the region of 600rmb. Some travellers have even reported being offered a car to Mutianyu for only 300rmb whilst looking for public transport.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mutianyu tour

I head a lot about “government” companies, “government” tour guides and “government” shops when I was in Beijing. Now I know they mean these people have licenses to run such businesses. It doesn’t always mean the government runs such businesses or holds the shares/stocks in there.

Mentioned in this post
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mutianyu tour

Re: Wsea3h. Correct. You need a licence to run any business. Saying something is a 'government shop' is a nonsense - it's like saying the woman I buy vegetables from is a 'government greengrocer' (eh, Comrade?).

Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mutianyu tour

Does it mean I can use the taxi/pte car for the whole day for the rate of 400-600rmb?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mutianyu tour

Yes, but you will need to negotiate the exact terms with the (taxi) driver. The costs estimated herein assume the trip you have enquired after. A private driver may be more flexible but obviously a bit more expensive. Have another look through those recent threads for other travellers' experiences.

Edited: 04 January 2011, 08:00
Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mutianyu tour

oh ok...thank you very much.

I have been reading the posts for the past few weeks and am so very tired. So decided to take the lazy way and start a new thread.

Thanks for your help!

10. Re: Mutianyu tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 12:35