We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abbotsford,BC
Level Contributor
118 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

My husband and I will have a 14 hour layover in Beijing and would like to do a great wall tour.I am starting the process of applying for a Visa in British Columbia,Canada.We will arrive mid-March.

October 2010 we traveled to Iquitos Peru and stayed in the Amazon for a week.We were required to get a vaccine for yellow fever.I have my vaccine however my husband was unable to get his due to a medical condition (Not contagious or life threatening)He received a card allowing entry without the vaccine.

My questions are:

**How strict is China on the yellow fever issue?

I have read that "anyone who has recently been to an infected area must have a certificate proving vaccine".

**Does anyone know how long after leaving an infected country that we (he) can enter China without the vaccine?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

I think recently means a relative short period before arival. I think October 2010 is not regarded as recently.

This clause is to prevent that people will enter china within the incubation time for certain diseases. So check the incubation period for yellow fever.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

You should check with the place where you applied for your visa.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,033 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

I believe this is not considered recently. But apply for visa and you'll know for sure.

Edited: 15 February 2011, 10:16
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

Are you only having a layover in Beijing, on an international flight in followed by an international flight out? Are you Canadian? If so, you don't need a Chinese visa at all, you can have visa-free transit for up to 24 hours when transiting through Beijing.

If the above doesn't apply to your situation and you need a visa--for instance, if you are going to continue on to a Chinese domestic destination after Beijing, don't worry about the yellow fever issue. Evidence of vaccination is only required if you are coming directly from an infected area (which Canada isn't) or in some cases if you are a native of a yellow fever country. At any rate, the incubation period for YF is less than a week, so I think it's safe to say that based on a Peru/Amazon trip in October, neither you nor your husband picked up YF. You would have known it, believe me.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 15:52
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,033 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

The above is right. If you are in transit between international flights, no visa is required.

Abbotsford,BC
Level Contributor
118 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

Are you sure about the visa? I have read that Canadians need no visa for up to 48 hour entry to Shanghai however that a visa is needed for Beijing if leaving the airport,which we will be for a few hours to see the Great Wall.

We are traveling from Canada---Layover in Beijing then onward to Thailand.

Then leaving Thailand--- layover in Beijing and back to Canada

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,033 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

Look at the Beijing airport website here. for the rules and procedures.

This page deals with international to international transfers. Click on each of the 6 little pics for the details:

en.bcia.com.cn/guide/transfer_i_i.shtml

Abbotsford,BC
Level Contributor
118 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

Thank you for the info.Great website re:airport prep.

I looked into it again and found this website.Sadly,a visa is needed for entry into Beijing.As long as you stay in the airport,no visa is needed.

Here is the website for anyone else interested in this topic:)

http://www.visarite.com/faq.htme

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

Officially you are not allowed to pass immigration without a visa. The only exeption is when you have to change terminals or when you have to collect your luggage and need to check in again.

But in these cases you are not allowed to leave the airport.

Only in Shanghai there is a 24 hour rule for transit flights.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,033 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hmmm,this is a tricky one.

Did you check the link carefully? It says clearly: "No Chinese visa is required for passengers holding a confirmed connecting fight ticket and transit in China within 24 hours." You will pass immigration and customs.

I picked up a brochure at the airport last Sunday and it says the same thing. The site explains how to do it. You need to go to something called immigration transfer desk.

Bepu - the Shanghai exemption is 48 hours.