We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

Chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

How long does it take to get the closest part of the Great Wall from PEK airport. I have a 6hr layover and am wondering if there is any shot of being able to see the Wall. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
The Great Wall at Badaling
The Great Wall at...
9,802 Reviews
Beijing, China
64 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,805 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

It is about one hour by car.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

The closest part to the Airport is the Mutianyu Great Wall and it should take no more than an hour each way to get there, so you do have time to visit, provided you take a car directly to the Wall, have the driver wait, and then return you to the airport. If your outbound flight is international and your bags are already checked through and you have your boarding pass, then you'll need to be back at the terminal about 1.5 hours before departure, in order to have time to deal with immigration and security. This leaves you about 4 to 4.5 useable hours, minus 2 hours total travel, or 2 to 2.5 hours on the Wall. That's actually pretty decent.

If you are a Mandarin speaker, you can probably just wait until you get to the airport and engage a cab for a flat fee (negotiated/non-metered)--for time and distance, I'd say about RMB 300-350 for the journey is plenty. If you are not a Mandarin speaker, then it might be best to engage in advance a car company to meet-and-greet and take you out there directly and back. Likely it will be more in the RMB 500-ish range though. Entry fee and cable car fee (if you don't want to hike up to top) are extra.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 16:00
Mentioned in this post
Mutianyu Great Wall
Mutianyu Great Wall
19,845 Reviews
Beijing, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

Be sure first you have the visa out of the airport and then taxi 1hr to Badaling Great Wall.

Mentioned in this post
The Great Wall at Badaling
The Great Wall at...
9,802 Reviews
Beijing, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

1hr to Mutianyu NOT Badaling (which is further away).

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

To clarify #3, when you arrive in PEK for a connection only, you don't get a "visa out of the airport" you will get a transit stamp (which is not a visa) which is good for 24 hours, by which time you are expected to be on a departing international flight out of PEK. You can leave the airport. This stamp is NOT a regular visa and it is NOT a transit visa, it is a visa-free transit stamp and does not look like a stamp given to a person officially entering China with a visa. Let's not mix up all these various terms.

Edited: 28 February 2011, 04:27
Mentioned in this post
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

thanks for your explaination, KV.

Hanstholm, Denmark
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

#5. I will be having a layover of 7 hours in July and want to visit the wall, where do I get such a visa-free transit stamp?

When I called the Chinese Embassy here in Denmark, they said nothing about such a stamp, just that it was possible with a visa which would cost me about $300 for 2 visa's

beijing
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

It is one hour and 60 KM.

Phoenix, Arizona...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

But you can see around just for a few hrs or not I've plenty of time layout in the airport 9.00 hrs to comeback to USA.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport

Eric V - see here about how to get the Transit Stamp. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k528…

Reply to: PEK to the Great Wall. How far from the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted