We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question on Chinese cuisine

Seattle
Level Contributor
707 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
question on Chinese cuisine

I thought I saw a link a while back explaining the different Chinese cuisine. I can't find it anymore. We would love to educate ourselves on the differences between Hunnan, Yunnan, Cantonese, Schezuan, ... Does anyone have a link to recommend?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question on Chinese cuisine

Drat, I missed that link. Sounds interesting. As a foodie that is what really attracts me about Chinese food - all so interesting, diverse & special.

Hunnan - probably best know for it's smoked meats and chilli and black bean. They are not always spicy and there are famous dishes like "Mao's Red Braised Pork" or "General Tso's Chicken".

Yunnan - big favorite of mine. The flavours are more delicate and not so much chilli. I always think of lots of vegetables and different mushrooms. It is such a huge region with a large number of minorities so it encompasses a large variety of styles. I mainly know Naxi food ( from the Lijiang region) like " Crossing the Bridge Noodles" and "Naxi pancakes" are very popular. As are insects and pupae :-) It's okay you wont get served these unless you ask. Yunnan food is so good and there are a number of great restaurants in Beijing & Shanghai who specialize.

Cantonese: wont really comment on these as they are down south and others can do it better. It is where are westernized ideas of "Chinese food" comes from. Dim Sum, heavy sauces etc.

Sichuan - so interesting. Love it. i guess most people think of Sichuan as hot. Lots of chilli. But I also love the vegetarian restaurants that do amazing things with meat ( you would swear you were eating pork). Even the famous Hot Pot's of the region can be toned down if you don't eat chilli - opt for a tomato base and they are outstanding. Lots of food's are not hot and you can mix it with salads. A big melting pot here as you have nearby Chongqing cuisine as well as Hakka.

Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Chongqing
Chongqing
Chongqing Region, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,805 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question on Chinese cuisine

Google "chinese cuisine by region" you 'll get plenty of sites about it.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question on Chinese cuisine

Annie, I'm crying :-( Shanghai does heavy sauces up there, we don't do them down here - just a dash of sesame oil, light soy, a drop of vinegar, and Bob's your uncle :-)

Mjoe, don't forget Macanese in your explorations!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question on Chinese cuisine

My problem is that I always forget what type of cuisine it is that I ate :-)

My favorites are the hot pot types. The big pots where all is boiled together. You have different options like chicken, lamb, frog, fish etc. In general pretty spicy.

But also the DIY hot pots where you cook your own stuff at the table. The traditional mongolian one has a nice touch.

Then you have all types of soup based meals.

There are also lots of Muslim restaurants. Mostly lot of BBQ sticks.

For breakfast I like all kinds of dumplings and soup. Sometimes with a green egg :-)

If you go out for dinner in Beijing, ghost street is a must. My favorite area. One big street with nothing but restaurants. Not fancy, but very popular with locals.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question on Chinese cuisine

Oisaan, I have given myself a big slap. Zip my mouth - hard task :-P You are very right.

Dinner is on me when next in Honkers. And you have made my mouth water with the mention of Macanese.

P.S my uncle is John ( not Bob) hahaha.

Annie xx

Sunnyvale,California...
Level Contributor
310 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question on Chinese cuisine

I agree with BePu...try the Hot Pot restaurants. I love hot pot and there are plenty of hot pot restaurants in Beijing. They are inexpensive, healthy and very delicious. There's a fast food chain in Beijing...Xiabu Xiabu. For about 4 USD you get a hot pot of broth, a plate with your choice of meat, noodles or wonton, and a large platter full of different varieties of veges and tofu, etc. They give you soooo much food for sooooo little money and it's soooo tasty. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I wish there were Xiabu Xiabu restaurants here in California. There's only a few hot pot restaurants here and they are soooo expensive...about 25 USD vs 4 USD (in Beijing). Try it...you'll like it!!!

Mentioned in this post
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question on Chinese cuisine

Never liked Sichuan cuisine. How can it be good if your tongue is practically burned and numb after a few bites? I have low tolerance for spice but I'm sure the same can be said for Western people where dishes are rarely as spicy as Sichuan or Thai cuisine.

Mongolian hotpot is amazing specially the one with herbs and mushrooms.

Yunnan is OK but mushroom dishes tend to taste the same. Peking Duck is a given for Beijing/northern food but that's basically it. Maybe I can give the lamb BBQ some points also.

I still like Cantonese cuisine the most.

My favorite Beijing food:

…blogspot.com/2010/06/di-san-xian-stir-fried…

meishij.net/chufang/…15977.html

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: question on Chinese cuisine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 12:19