We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing Tour Guide

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing Tour Guide

Just got back from our Beijing vacation and although I had read alot of articles about not needing a tour guide in Beijing, I used one anyway. This is just to give my personal experience.

We have never used a guide in the past but felt that considering the possible language barrier, we researched and found a guide.

There are posts in the forum about the best guides and I chose one based on e-mail responses. Her name is Vivie Pan (vivietour@yahoo.com.cn). She has a great command of the english language and a wealth of fascinating historical information that was not in tour books. She did not "push" shopping trips and warned us of scams. She was concerned with our well being. She kept our itinerary flexible and even gave a cell phone for our use while in Beijing. She arranged for my wife and I to get Taichi lessons at the Temple of Heaven and took us on a trip to buy tea from a wholesale place in Beijing (there were no tourist there only locals).

If your going to Beijing and want a guide consider this very capable guide.

Liverpool, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

or if you want you can consider an iphone app of Beijing...

take a look...http://www.beijingsecretsguide.com

I think that is still free...

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

very interesting app!!!

high quality content in an innovative guide!!!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

I have yet to find a good (free) app for visiting Beijing. This one doesn't make it either. Hardly any content.... and no secret revealed despite the name.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

To Lovebird: May I asked how much did you pay for the private tour guide? I am looking for a 1 day tour that goes to GreatWall (not BaDingLing) and Ming Tomb, possiblility to fit couple more places.

Thanks!

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

Hi Florida Lovebirds,

It would be most helpful to readers if you could tell us exactly what you saw or visited, how long a time period, and the cost plus driver cost. You can relate the guide's educational background, cultural knowledge and any shopping experiences.

You would not find much value from a car review which just said, "The Mercedes model was the best I have ever been in. We drove a lot. It was fun the whole time." Readers want to know more factual details and fewer comparative adjectives which are "in the eyes of the beholder." The Mercedes is not a worthwhile value, to me, if it costs twice as much as other models to get me where I want to go. So price is important. We all have budgets.

In addition to friendly and personable guides, most people want knowledgeable ones who can answer questions accurately. They want their day efficiently planned. Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

well you're right it is not simple find out interesting guide...

but i loved Beijing Secrets Guide...easy to use, nice pictures and free...

Temecula, California
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

This is my first post...but my fiancé and I had the pleasure of having Vivie as our tour guide from 4/20/11 to 4/23/11. She was great and a lot of fun, we experienced all of what Beijing has to offer including the 2 hour traffic jam ob the way to the breathtaking Longching gorge...I definitely recommend it. Vivie stuck with the plan even though traffic was bad and we were going to be running late. We had a great time and would recommend her anytime.

Curtis

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

Although it's Florida Lovebirds first post I can vouch for the validity of the post. They stayed at our hotel & they were a wonderful couple. We became friends with them during our visit to Beijing. We would compare notes at the end of the day.

They used Vivie 5 out of their 6 days stay & only had praises every night about their day with her. I met Vivie & she seemed really nice but she was booked with them the whole time otherwise we might have used her also. I even saw the cell phone she provided them during their stay. I was really impress with that. Although I don't regret not having a guide everyday we were there, I can attest that they did a lot more with Vivie than we did on our own.

I'll give a chance to Florida Lovebirds to answer your questions if he choose to before I give the additional info I have.

Edited: 02 May 2011, 06:17
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

hi mjoe. how was yoru trip? If I remember you were the one who got really cheap air ticket, right?

re. lovebirds, if you looke carefully, they joined may 6, had 9 reviews, and a nice travel map of 36. far cry from those joined today, post today, disappear today.

4 more months for me!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beijing Tour Guide

Yes Mjoe please let us know about your trip.