We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets now available online

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Topic
Train tickets now available online

To make sure everybody sees tis I am posting it in the Beijing and Shanghai forums.

It is now possible to buy train tickets online for the fast trains.

The website is: http://www.12306.cn/mormhweb/

The tickets bear a name so you need to provide your id which , in the case of a tourist, is your passport number. You enter the information when creating the profile.

You later pick up the tickets at the train station (which you can do just before departure) but showing the email confirmation that you received or your file number. The confirmation can also be sent to your phone.

For next week, the cheapest ticket from Nanjing to Beijing is 455RMB compared to the cheapest being 550RMB for flying.

This, as I predicted, is nearly the same as buying plane tickets online.

The only problem is, for now the website in only in chinese. An english website should be available eventually. Ctrip.com has said that they plan to sell train tickets on their website. No idea when.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets now available online

Thanks for that JPDem, I might get my dad to translate to help purchase the tickets. However judging by this BBC article it seems there won't be a rush for tickets.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13927660

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets now available online

While it may be out of reach of the average worker, it is within reach of tens of millions of Chinese. Just remember that there are currently over 100 flights between Shanghai and Beijing every day.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets now available online

Thanks for the info, as I'm in the advance stages of planning it's very useful :)

So there isn't much demand for high speed train tickets then? I'm maybe hoping to buy them from the station in Beijing 4 or 5 days beforehand so maybe I'll be in luck!

Any idea of the prices? I saw something on the BBC (?) which said tickets are about £50 for the Beijing to Shanghai route - does this sound right to people?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets now available online

Yes your price estimate is about right. Nobody knows how busy they are as service is just starting this week.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets now available online

Thanks JP (nice weather on your new pic). It seems this is not a brand new site but an extension of the existing 'official' site. There is some info about navigating the previously available options here: q2hoo.com/2010/10/official-china-train-sched…

We'll have to wait and see how popular the Beijing-Shanghai route becomes but in my experience, for the fast trains I've been on for shorter journeys, there are not usually any empty seats and standing tickets are regularly sold.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets now available online

Thanks for the info.

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train tickets now available online

Just bumping this back to the top of the posts as I'm interested in hearing of any success/failure stories using the system!

Does it just cover the new high speed beijing-shanghai train, or will it also cover other trains e.g. btwn xian and beijing?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train tickets now available online

I guess over time it will cover just about everything.

So far I have only directly experienced Beijing to Nanjing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train tickets now available online

Thank for the info and I agree with Quipnicely it is nice picture.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train tickets now available online

For those of us who do not read /speak Chinese, how do we have someone buy train tickets for us in advance? Can a hotel concierge go online and do it for us? Do we still have to show up in person with our passport at a train station to get tickets? is there any way to pay someone from your hotel to provide this service without giving them your actual passport? Can you give them a copy of it, or do the ticket agents have to see the original? I won't be buying and long distance tickets, only short rides, like Shanghai-Nanjing, Nanjing-Suzhou, Suzhou-Hangzhou. They will all be bullet trains though, not the slow local trains.