We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

Will be doing this journey mid week, ie. around Weds/Thursday, late October. Is it possible to book the tickets at a travel agent or do you need to go to the Beijing train station. I dont speak any Chinese, so I think booking online would be a problem. Also, how long before the trip is it necessary to book the tickets ? From Xian , I will be travelling by train to Shanghai. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks to all who contribute their ideas and experiences, all very helpful.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

Sorry but I am a little confused by your question. ?ou will travel from Xi'An to Beijing and again from Xi'An to Shanghai? Why are you going to Xi'An twice?

Generally train tickets go on sale 10 days before travel date. You cannot buy these online. Your hotel should help you.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

Go with flights, prices will be even less than train cost. They espesially China East airlines will release great discounts. Beijing-Xian is expect to just 500 Yuan, Xian - Shanghai is just about 300 Yuan from right now!

The price i listed dont include surcharge for 190 Yuan.

You can buy air ticket through ctrip.com or elong.com.

Night train will save you spend on an overnight but it may be hard to buy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

JP, I should have explained it better. Trip to Xi'an to see the warriors, then from there to Shanghai, but as we wish to see Guilin, it would make more sense to travel air or train to Guilin and then from there, to Shaghai. But I suspect you and OrientalRed have answered my query anyway, thanks.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

OK, have fun!

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

Flight from Guilin to Shanghai can be about 300 even less to 199 Yuan ( if go with china-sss airlines and if they dont get enough passanger, they will sometimes quote even 99 Yuan). Great discounts are expect to be released a little later. You may follow them time to time.

Kingwood
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

My wife and I are going to Beijing China and we want to go to Xian to see the Terra Cotta Warriors by train on March 25, 2012 at night. Where on the internet can I go to reserve tickets for the round trip.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

You cannot buy train tickets on the internet.

Kingwood
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

OK. How do you buy the tickets when you arrive 2 days before you want to take the train? I read that you must make a resavation 10 days before you want to take the train.

Thanks for any advice that you can give me. Phil

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

hi there i traveled to china during national holidays and I had limited time so booked train tickets using an agent called china highlights. They booked and delivered all my train tickets to whatever hotel in whatever town I was staying in the day before i travelled. . I got the tickets I asked for and only paid an extra delivery fee of $14 for each ticket. It was worth it as I didnt have to lose any time either trying to get the tickets on my own or worse still losing any precious time by not getting the trains I wanted. I booked my very last train on my own from xian to beijing at xian station the day before and ended up with a hard seat in a packed compartment for 12 hours. I thought I had booked a hard sleeper which is basically ok but it was a hard seat and It was 12 hours of torture. I also flew between shanghai and guilin. I booked with ctrip and had no problems with that either. Its true that tickets only go on sale 10 days before but if you want to be sure of getting your tickets then I can recommend using the service of china highlights.

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train trip to Xian from Beijing, and Xian to Shanghai

For the train trip to Xi'an from Beijing, we contacted the hotel we were staying in (Double Happiness Courtyard hotel - very good ) and they booked the train tickets for us for a commission of about $4. We emailed them the dates we wished to travel, what class and they arranged the tickets.