We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help investigating a low cost hotel close to tourist areas!

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Help investigating a low cost hotel close to tourist areas!

We are interested in staying a fairly low cost hotel with a chinese feel. Most of these hotels that Ive seen seem to be in the hutong areas. This seems daunting to me as we will be carrying luggage etc. As this is our first time in China we would like to be close to transport links. We would like to be near shops, eating places etc. I have looked at the Wufangjing area, is this the area that is recomemmneded?

Any advice welcome and appreciated.

Tour-Beijing-Day Tour
Helicopter Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Travel China Guide
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Beijing Walking Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
The Trippest Mini Group Tours
Private Tours, City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Cairns, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help investigating a low cost hotel close to tourist areas!

I've just returned from Beijing and stayed at the Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel as recommended on TA. It is a Chinese Hotel in the Hutong area and is easily accessible via subway once you have your bearings. I highly recommend the hotel because of the efficiency of the staff, great brekkies, location and cleanliness of the rooms. I felt completely safe in the area even after losing my way occassionally and needed assistance from the locals who were always willing to help me. The taxi drivers are not keen to drive into the hutongs because they are very congested and when we initially turned down the alley where the hotel was located I did feel quite uneasy because I thought he must have the wrong place. But the hotel gives you the opportunity to have a bit more of an authentic experience and it is eay to use the subway and very cheap to get to all the tourist places. Most importantly, contact the hotel for Chinese directions and a Chinese street map to get you there initially. Enjoy!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,208 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help investigating a low cost hotel close to tourist areas!

We stayed in Sitting on City Walls in a hutong five minutes from the north wall of the Forbidden City. Cars cannot drive in there, but the people at the hostel come to meet you and help with your luggage if needed. We really enjoyed the experience.

There are lots of similar places. Check the reviews:

www.tripadvisor.ca/HACSearch…

www.tripadvisor.ca/HACSearch…

Edited: 28 September 2011, 02:35
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,741 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help investigating a low cost hotel close to tourist areas!

I wouldn't call those 'fairly low cost" hotels.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,941 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help investigating a low cost hotel close to tourist areas!

Go to the hotel review section here. Go down the list until you find something that meets your buget. You can also use the screening by price. Then check the location. Usually it is mapped.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help investigating a low cost hotel close to tourist areas!

Wangfujing is okay for a bit of a look but it comes with some negatives. There are a lot of western hotels there....and tourists....and if you want places that have a Chinese feel it doesn't really tick the box.....

Have you got an approx amount in mind? There are a number of hotels / guesthouse with good access to what you require. Some low cost & some very upmarket & some in between - so it depends on what you mean by low cost. What is your budget?

Not sure what you mean by " carrying your luggage". Most taxis, even in Hutong areas, can take you to the door of your hotel. Double Happiness Courtyard does have a problem with this ( taxis will only take you to the nearest road) but there are many places that are good value and the taxi will take you to the entrance.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
919 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help investigating a low cost hotel close to tourist areas!

I stayed at the Far East Hotel. It is also in the Hutong area but close to Tian'an men Square and the metro there. You also walk through a nice shopping area close by.

Cost was less than $40 USD per night and stayed 2 weeks ago. Also had some very good reviews on TA

7. Re: Help investigating a low cost hotel close to tourist areas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 13:19