We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

Hello!

I am working on booking a flight to Bangkok and the cheapest flights have layovers in Beijing. One is 14 hours there and 20 hours on the way back. I'm thinking about booking this flight in hopes that is long enough for me to leave the airport and explore some sights.

Can anyone let me know if this is feasible and if so what I might be able to see at what cost?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

Time wise, you can organize something. Visit forbidden city and tienanmen one flight and great wall on the other flight.

But in order to do that you need a double entry visa. Without a visa you are officially not allowed to leave the airport.

Have a look at recent postst about this subject.

Edited: 16 October 2011, 21:11
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

See Here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k487…

The 20 hour lay over is no problem but it depends on what your flight arrives & departs for the 14 hour layover as to what you can see.

Using the airport express subway is RMB 25. The rest of the subway system is very cheap RMB 2 per trip.

To get a taxi from the airport to the Forbidden City area will be about RMB 100 - 130. There are also shuttle buses from the airport to various areas in the city ( they don't run 24 hours however).

To hire a taxi for 1/2 a day to get to the Great Wall Mutianyu section from the airport and back into Beijing will be about RMB 500.

If you plan on using public transport to get to the wall go to the Badaling section - train or bus. The non stop buses take 1 hour & cost RMB 12. The fast S train take 20 minutes and soft seat costs RMB 19.

Entrance tickets are very reasonable:

Forbidden City: High season RMB 60. Low season RMB 40

Drum & Bell Towers: RMB 20 each or both for RMB 30

Major Parks like Jingshan & Beihai are RMB 5 - 20.

Temple of Heaven - Park & Buildings: High season RMB 35. Low season RMB 30

Summer Palace: RMB 20 - 50.

You can eat very cheaply. Bottle of water from a small shop RMB 2 - 4. Don't buy at major tour places as the price triples. Street food like steamed buns & Lamb sticks RMB 1 - 3. Small neighborhood sit down restaurants for noodles / dumplings etc RMB 15 - 30.

Annie

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

Here's the times I'm looking at for this layover, might help. A little concerned about the early arrival at the airport both flights. Would I just book a hotel at the airport for the flight home and wake up early to explore?

Also, sounds like it might be best to play it safe and get a visa before leaving for this trip.

Flight to Bangkok:

Arrive in Beijing:

5:30am

* Change planes. Time between flights: 14hr 15min

Depart:

7:45pm

Flight home:

Arrive in Beijing:

12:55am

* Change planes. Time between flights: 20hr 40min

Depart:

9:35pm

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

There is nothing much open when you arrive early mornings.

Most sights within Beijing don't open until 8.30am. The exception being the parks - depending which park they open early.

IE: Your first lay over you can go to Temple of Heaven Park which opens at 6am & the buildings at 8am. it's great to see this park in the morning - locals out exercising with swords, ballroom dancing etc. From there you can go to the Forbidden City. There is enough time to see both these places and get back to the airport at 5.30pm ( before your flight at 7.45pm).

You second layover: There are Pay Lounges at each of the terminals at Beijing airport if you want to catch a few ZZZ's. tripadvisor.com/…25631087

If you want to see the Great Wall this is the day to do it as you have more time. Afterwards you can go to any of the places I mentioned in the first link - Lama Temple, Houhai Lakes area etc.

Taxis can be tricky to get in Beijing at certain times & in certain areas so allow enough time to get to the airport. Otherwise use the subway system which is excellent. You can get a map here & it will also show you the time between stops: http://www.explorebj.com/subway/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

Thanks so much! Do you think it would be worth it? It will cost an estimated $300-400 extra for the stop in Beijing over just flying to Bangkok.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,761 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

With only little time I would take a taxi to and from the airport. In the city the subway will be fine though.

Whether it is worth it is a matter of opinion. If this is your only chance ever to visit Beijing then it might be worth it. Note that you can store your luggage at the airport.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
605 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

Are you arriving on a weekday? If so, I suggest you take the airport train and subway instead. Beijing traffic is notorious, and you will very likely be stuck on the ring road or Chang'an Av.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,761 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

Actually hkg2009hk, I have done the experiment and the train takes twice as long as a taxi. Weekend traffic on ring roads is worst than a weekday as there are no license plate restrictions. During rush hour then traffic will be pretty bad on the roads but the subway will also be quite impossible at that time.

The best combination is a taxi from the airport then subways within the city. Trust me, I have tried all combinations at various times.

9. Re: Beijing Airport Layover - Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 00:15