We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

great wall question

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
great wall question

Im planning to go to beijing in December, how far is great wall form city center? and what is best mode of transportation? cost?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,691 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: great wall question

Which part of the Great Wall and from where in Beijing (just crossing the city could take one hour). Generally speaking it is 1.5 hour out of town and you need to hire a car and driver for between 450 and 600RMB.

You could also read the first items of top questions on the right of this page.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: great wall question

Which section of the wall are you going? It cost 1.5 hrs and 500 Yuan/private car if to Mutianyu.

Edited: 07 November 2011, 05:47
Beijing
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: great wall question

Bus or taxi or private car are OK.

or half way by subway, half way by taxi.

4. Re: great wall question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2011, 15:21
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: great wall question

For transport, I suggest you get your hotel to help you hire a private car or taxi for the trip and agree on the charge first. This way, you won't get caught in any scams. The hotel can help you give instructions to the driver. Pls make clear to the hotel that you wish the driver to wait and then take you back after your walk. I must caution you, though, that taxi drivers are infamous for giving fake money when giving you change. If you can give the exact amount, it would be best.

United States
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: great wall question

I'm also looking for a driver and private car for a day trip to the Great Wall - Mutianyu.

I e-mailed one of the highly recommended guides and got a reply from her $140USD which is about 880RMB !!

I wonder how much if we go thru the concierge at hotel .. anyone ?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: great wall question

That would be about the amount you would need to pay for a private car, driver & guide. The guide should be with you throughout the walk. For 2 persons, the price may be slightly less per person. Suggest you confirm via email,before the trip whether this includes lunch and Ming Tombs which are along the way. You may be taken to an obligatory stop at a Jade Factory which you do not need to buy anything.

Another option would to get your hotel to arrange for just a driver for the day who will take you to the Walls(plus Ming Tombs , if you wish). You can easily do the walk and visit on your own without a guide. I have not tried this, but I am sure this options is much more economical.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,691 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: great wall question

You do not need a guide for the Great Wall, just a driver.

The price quotes to turist_kecil is much too high for just a driver. One booked through a hotel will likely be even more expensive, probably over 1000RMB.

The price is for the car, not per person. Obviously if there are two of you the price per person is half of the price per person if you are alone.

Private driver don't take you to any shopping stop unless you request it.

Ming Tombs is not along the way depending on which section of the Wall you are visiting and certainly not worth the detour.

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1,297 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: great wall question

We got the bus from Dengshemen bus station to the Badaling section. This was fine and a much cheaper option. Bus number 919.

Beijing, China
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: great wall question

Hiring a private car for Mutianyu Great Wall(78KM far) costs 700CNY, I am a Beijing travel guide. I would like to assist you for arrangement if you'd like. Can I leave my contact at here, Tripadvisor staff? Any one knows the rule?