We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
309 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

Hi, it is crazy to visit Beijing + Xian during Chinese New Year? I heard a lot about the terrible human traffic during this time. Was wondering would the places of interest be jammed pack with tourists and would it be difficult to get the return plane/train tickets to Xian from Beijing?

Thanks!

1. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2011, 15:22
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

Lang distance transport is terribly busy, never think about using trains. You would only have chance accessing flights. But on the contrary, few numbers of people have interest to see tourist sites.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

Well, let's be clearer. There are no tourists in Beijing at that time. The streets are empty and there is no traffic. Only the Beijinger stay in town, everybody else has gone home to visit the family.

However most places will close for at least one day and some markets for 2 or 3 days. Hotels are practically empty and very cheap. Travelling between cities by train or bus is problematic. by plane it is ok.

A lot of fireworks every night which is fun. The peak being just before midnite on the eve of Chinese new year.

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
309 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

Hi, Thanks all for the reply.

Jean - when you say most places close for one day, you meant the tourist area as in the Forbidden city, Great wall, etc?

Would it be difficult to move around the city (as in will there be significantly less taxis on the road)? Lastly, would things be more expensive (food, shopping, etc)?

Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

The Forbidden City closes only one day per day and it is on Chinese New year. All attractions will be closed except the parks.

There are enough taxis around. Most drivers are Beijinger and there is less demand.

Things will not be more expensive and hotels cheaper. Do not book hotels early. Last minute will be best.

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
309 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

Hi Jean,

Thanks!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

Hi there i was in China last month during china national holidays and can concur that train tickets are/were almost impossible to get during this time and I was told its the same for chinese new year. Most agencies will tell you outright that they will not even attempt to get train tickets for tourists during big chinese holidays. Take that into account. There are plenty of flights and if you can get a deal they are not considerably more than the trains with the added bonus of getting there much faster.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

The national holiday (October first) and Chinese new year are very different holidays with very different patterns and challenges.

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
309 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

Hi Angie & Jean,

Thanks for your notes. Hmmm... I'm still undecided as the plane tickets to Beijing from Singapore during CNY are rather expensive..

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beijing & Xian during Chinese New Year

I am not surprised. A lot of chinese going back to China for this holiday. I am sure that on the 23rd the prices drop a lot