We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great wall in December ?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Great wall in December ?

Hi ,

Is IT possible for one to go up to the great wall during end December or is it too chilly ? Please advise :)

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great wall in December ?

i think Beijing's winter will always be chilly for friends from Singapore as even local cannt bear the freezing deep winter.

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1,297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great wall in December ?

We went on the Badaling section of the wall last December - the buses still run there and there were a few people other than us (probably we saw 100 people or so) but it was cold. There was no ice or anything like that but the wind was freezing. It was the coldest we were throughout our stay and that included a trip to Harbin in the North. So in answer to your question yes it is possible but it will be cold! Makes sure you dress up warm!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great wall in December ?

Sure, lots of people do. Just dress properly.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great wall in December ?

It's actually a good time to see the Great Wall ( apart from the cold.). It is not crowded - go to the Mutianyu section as it is far less busy than Badaling. We were there on Christmas day & had whole sections of the wall to ourselves. The surrounding countryside is a bit bare & brown but skies are blue :-)

There is no need to go too early. Wait for it to warm up a bit & as JP advises, dress properly. Wear thermals, if you have them, dress in layers & take a scarf & gloves & beanie.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great wall in December ?

Hi,

I went to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall, and i would say that if you are in Beijing, you really must make it a point to visit. The cable car ride up is not cold as you are enclosed in the cable car. And once you reach the top, well, i guess it's worth the cold. :-p

It'll not be difficult to imagine the hardship that those Qin workers put in during the Qin dynasty to build the great wall.

Just dress warm and you may also appreciate the fact that there is less crowd.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great wall in December ?

Certainly either take or buy Thermals!!

Gloves, thermal socks, hats and scarfves and a quilted coat. Either a long one or if you are tough a short that covers your small of your back!

You will be okay. usually it is the wind that is the chill factor.

I always take a flask of hot tea or water or coffee with me it helps. i know you can buy from the vendors but then you have it with you all the time.

Scenery for photos is certainly different!

Enjoy and stay warm.

Albon

7. Re: Great wall in December ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 13:56
8. Re: Great wall in December ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2012, 10:19