We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

Hello. I am so excited and am planning my first trip to China in October with my husband. I am thinking of doing a day trip to Chengde to see the big Buddah on the mountain or Xi'an to see the Terra Cotta Warriors. Which is most favorable for a short one or two daytrip from Beijing?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

If it is your first time trip to China and you have more than one week in China, I highly suggest you go to Xian for a visit of the Terra Cotta Warriors. It is really worthwhile. You also can go to Chengde during your trip. You may have one day tour to Xian and one day tour to Chengde.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

Actually one week is enough for visits to Beijing, Xian and Chengde if you have your trip arranged in good order in advance.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,060 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

I would not do all three places in one week.

Chengde is closer to Beijing than Xi'An.

I have been to Chende and did not remember seeing a big buddha there. I googled it and I guess you mean the Puning temple also known as the Big Buddha Temple. It is also not on a mountain. In any case, it is quite nice.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

For side trip to either Chengde or Xian. You need basically two days including transfer time. Difference is only the transport model and time spending on it.

A bit info about transfer to Chengde:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k501…

NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

Thank you everyone for your responses. I looked online and it seems the Big Buddha I am looking for is not in Chengde but in Leshan. I guess it is an excursion from Chengde. It is called Leshan's Giant Buddha. I am thinking a one day trip to Xi'an to see the terra cotta warriors. Trnasportation wise would it be best to fly or to take the bullet train overnight?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,060 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

I would not call that train a bullet train. Both ways are ok, it depends on your personal preferences. With the overnight train you save the cost of a hotel room but personally I like a shower in the morning.

NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

You know what you are right there is no way I could do without the shower in the am or after a long day and hop back on the train. Thanks for the advice.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

The big Buddha is in Leshan which is a day trip from Chengdu not Chengde! These places are in two different parts of China. Chengdu is also where you go to the see the pandas.

NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

Ahh ok thanks for clearing that up I thought Chengdu and Chengde were one in the same. Ok yeah Big Buddah is not happening this time around. Is there any other sites I should visit in Xi'an besided=s terra cotta warriors? Good resturants?

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip Chengde or Xi'an

I went to the city wall and Big Goose Pagoda. I heard the Shanxxi museum is really good but didn't have time to visit. The other main area would be the Muslim Quarter with the bell and drum tower.