We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

NY
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

Hello. I am planning our tripto Beijing in mid October and am kinda stuck between the two attractions above. Which would you guys suggest or would you suggest something completly different? Below is the rough draft of itinanary.

Day 1

Check in and hang out

Day 2

Tiananmen forbidden city jingshan park nanlouguxiabg

Day 3

Panjiayuan market and temple of heaven

Day 4

Great wall - location that starts with m

Day 5

Lama temple and confucious temple and drum and bell tower

Day 6?

Day 7 leave

We really want to take in the sites withput being exhausted. We are in our late twenties but we rather observe and imerse in culture than do alot of shopping. Any advice will be appreciated. Also open to other must sees. Oh and we are very well travel.both grew up as militray kids and travel overseas every year so not interested in any westernized attractions.

798 Art Zone
Art Galleries, Neighbourhoods
Yandai Xie Street
Historic Walking Areas, Antique Stores
Solana
Neighbourhoods, Shopping Malls
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,451 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

You schedule is rather light which seems to be what you want.

A few notes.

One day one after arrival you may want to go to Qianmen street area ans Dashilar just west of it. A good way to soak it in on your first day. The place gets going in late afternoon and you can spend a few hours walking randomly around there.

Panjiayuan is better on weekends apparently. You probably want to go to the Temple of Heaven first although Panjiayuan is also a morning destination.

The Great Wall section that starts by M is Mutianyu.

When you head to the Drum Tower then you can walk around the Houhai area. There are a few temple and famous residences to visit.

Also look into Liulichang and The National Museum.

As you will be there a whole week, you should look into this book which is not really a book but a series of postcards with pedestrian itineraries: amazon.com/Beijing-Foot-Eric-Abrahamsen/…

NY
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

Thank you so much. I am opend to adding more attractions on the day with the great wall and i have one day free where i dont know what to do or see. This is just a very rough draft as you may remember from a previous post i am thinking about going to xi'an.

NY
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

Anyone suggestions between capital museum and summer palace?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,451 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

They are quite different. The Summer Palace is essentially a big park around a lake while the other is a museum. You have time for both.

If you have so much time, no need to make a precise schedule. Just make a list with some priorities and know what is near what. hen depending on how tired you are or on the weather you can do more some days and less on others.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

I would add nanlouguxiang to day 5. It's about halfway between Lama/Confucius temple and the Bell/Drum Towers. If it's a nice day like the day we did it you can walk from Confucius temple to Bell/Drum tower in about 20-25 minutes.

Why not do both Summer palace and National museum on day 6?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

Since you are going in October, you can head out to the great wall early in the morning. The best opportunity to basically have it for your own when you arrive. Did this a couple of years ago, and that was very impressive.

Since you will only spend a couple of hours on the wall, then on the way back you can visit the summer palace.

You should visit Temple of Heaven early in the morning as well. Preferably on a sunday if this is possible in your schedule. Do not just visit the main buildings, but also walk though the park. Especially the east side is the area where on sunday most locals will go and do their exercises, singing, dancing, etc..

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,451 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

BePu, they do this every day not only on Sunday, as they are all retired.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

On weekdays you see the elderly people, but the sunday is a day where families will go to parks. There is much more to do on sundays.

I've been a lot in the park, because I used to do my qi gong there.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

The drum and bell towers are not spectacular. Day 4 you can go to the Olympic Park after the GW.

Places I would add during free time: Summer Palace, Qianmen Street, Wangfujing, and the Beijing Zoo Panda section if you are into pandas.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Capital Museum or Sumner Palace?

I would rather stroll around the Summer Palace than look at things displayed in the Capital museum, but I would let the weather decide. The Capital museum is a good thing to do if a day is too cold/hot/rainy/or if there is a sandstorm.