We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Spree

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1 post
188 reviews
Save Topic
China Spree

We just returned from the 8-day Beijing tour with China Spree. We cannot express what a great tour it was- the Winter Special price was $800.00, plus $170.00 for the China vise, and taxes of about $56.00. The tour included a flight on Air China (bland food, but comfortable), our hotel was the Traders in Beijing (can't say enough how nice it was), 2 free days- where they provided information on other sights to see, including Chinese directions, and 3 days of tours- Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, Hutong and rick-shaw ride, Temple of Heave, Sacred Walk of Ming Tombs (but not the tombs themselves) and Summer Palace. Very few shopping stops- silk market and Jade store- were perfect. Our guide (Ming Li) was excellent- the best of all tour guides we have ever had! Her knowledge of history, architecture, politics, and culture was amazing! She was our one real contact with the Chinese people. The tour was well-paced and comprehensive. They were clear that you had to be able to walk and there would be long days (and since it was winter, it would be cold) so they prepared us very well. We obtained all our documents in a timely manner, as they said they would. They did have optional tours- Chinese Acrobat show and dinner- we recommend the acrobats- they were wonderful to watch. Their choice of restaurants was excellent- they were all Chinese. We would completely recommend them as a tour company.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,798 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China Spree

$800 including flight and hotel? Even if you skip the tour part this is a very good deal.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Spree

800$ is what we paid only for the flights so that is cheap. Thanks for the info.

Huntsville, Alabama
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: China Spree

My husband and I are going on this same tour in about 2 weeks. I'm concerned about needing to take a lot of cash...was much additional cash needed for anything other than souvenirs? What about tipping? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China Spree

Thank you for the review! I'm going on the same tour Feb 24 - March 1, so looking forward to it. I'd also be curious about the amt of cash you brought, and any other expenses you incurred along the way. Thanks again!

High Point, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China Spree

A friend and I are planning on going in January. I am concerned about the cold weather, especially when touring the Great Wall. Did you have problems staying warm? How cold was it?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: China Spree

It's freeeezing here in January. Pack warm and layer up. I'm usually electric biking around all year in Beijing, and it requires a thick down jacket, sweater, t-shirt, and an undershirt on the top, and down there at least a thick pair of long johns, jeans and leather chaps.

The great wall is about 5 degrees colder than the city, so when you're up there, dress extra warm.

We have had some freak years where some days it will get super warm at the wall, but hard to predict those.

Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: China Spree

It's colder in Beijing, bring a beanie or hat and light glove with a long scarf you will be thankful you did, also scarf can double as towel when toy need it

Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: China Spree

I am going in end of March 2013. I signed up for all optional tours, are they worth it and if there is any that we should skip?

PS It's colder in Beijing, bring a beanie or hat and light glove with a long scarf you will be thankful you did, also scarf can double as towel when toy need it

Batam, Indonesia
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: China Spree

I am going in end of March 2013 too, hope it's Spring already, not so cold.

Anybody knows if Beijing had snowfalls ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: China Spree

We are also travelling end of March - which tour are you on? We will be on the Golden Triangle - found one other traveller here on the forums on the same march 21 departure.

Hoping for spring-like weather. With the current weather patterns I don't think you can really predict and should check the forecasts the week before you leave. I think you will need to dress in layers at that time of year - likely to be a big temp difference between early morning/evening and daytime temps.